Porters inca trail + bag size

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Porters inca trail + bag size

Postby alica31 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:58 am

I have a 30 litre daypack. For the rest of my belongings Im taking a 'holdall' type soft bag. This has an 80 litre capacity but it will be no-where near full...

My question is, is it reasonable to expect the porter to carry this bag which essentially contains stuff for the rest of the trip (the inca trail 4 day excursion making up a small part). Is there an option to leave belongings in Cuszco?

...those poor porters
alica31
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby LadyBird » Wed May 09, 2007 8:18 am

Hi Alicia,

This question has been asked many times in this forum already. Do a search and you can see the responses.

(Your tour leader gives you a bag that the porters carry. Anything you can't get in it you leave in Cuzco before the hike)
LadyBird

Postby ballu » Wed May 09, 2007 8:54 am

You will be given a small duffle bag by the company that the porters will carry. In this bag you will pack your sleeping bag and all stuff you won't need while hiking (extra clothes, toothbrush etc.).

You will also have a daypack. You will carry this. In it will be all the stuff you will need while hiking...water, sunblock, fleece etc.

You big pack with all the stuff you don't need while doing the trail will be safely stored at the hotel in Cusco.
ballu

Postby yuenkay » Wed May 09, 2007 5:31 pm

You are allowed to give the porter 7kg. That would include sleeping bag and if you rent the therma rest. You can carry as much as you'd ike in your own daypack but i'd recommend keeping it very light.
yuenkay
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Porters

Postby Moose5115 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:37 pm

These porters are amazing. They are in bare feet sprinting by you with packs as big as them. I forget the cost, i think it was like 25 USD per day for a porter. I split the cost with a guy in our group and it worked out great.
I am going to be doing the Volcano Trail starting on July 22!
Moose5115
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Porters inca trail + bag size

Postby whit04 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:58 pm

I've heard that you can't bring an SLR camera to Machu Picchu? Is this true?

My friend that I am travelling with is a professional photographer and is bringing her very expensive camera to Peru. Will she be able to bring it on the trek or will she be forced to leave it in Cusco? Also, if she leaves it in Cusco with the rest of our stuff... will it be safe?

I'm just wondering how the rest of our belongings are stored while we are on the trek portion. Thanks for your help in advance.
whit04

Postby graybeard » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:46 pm

whit04

With regard to bringing a SLR to MP. Somewhere on the MP tourist site there is a statement that one cannot bring a "professional" camera into the site. But, there were hordes of folks using camera's that were not tiny point-and-shoots wandering around and many a fancy SLR was amongst them. You ARE limited in the size of the daypack you can bring inside MP and this is enforced. If your daypack is too big (sorry, I don't remember the limits) there is a storage check for it. Small fee involved. (DO NOT LOSE THE RECEIPT THEY GIVE YOU TO RECLAIM YOUR PACK!!!) This would effectively limit folks bringing multiple lenses, tripods, etc into the MP site. When done, just pick up your pack.

So, the camera can go on the hike. Now if one had a large format camera I would bet it would not get into MP. But, would you really want to lug such a beast with you on the trail anyway.

Your stuff is stored in a locked room at the hotel. But, as it true anywhere in the world, leaving expensive items in this luggage (like cameras) is inviting trouble.

As for porters, If you are going with GAP, the cost of the porters, guides, amazing cooks, etc, is included in the cost. You do NOT have to hire your own porter. If fact, recent regulations require everyone to be with a guided group with prior reservations. The days of doing it yourself are long gone due to overuse and abuse by the folks who did not have good backcountry etiquette.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby envirochick72 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:54 am

These posts are quite old, is the size of bag the porters carry still the same?
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby DanielBMe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:48 pm

I think so. I was there last year and the duffel bag was about that weight. Your really don't need a lot of stuff for the Inca Trail.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 pm

The most recent I read here was 6kg and the bag is weighed before you leave Cuzco. Daniel is right, you don't need much for the hike. The porters are amazing, our limit a few years ago was 7kg and the porters carried 4 of those each! Enjoy the hike, it was incredible scenery!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby lilshaz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 am

Hi
Can anyone advise me on whats best to bring on the trek as I still haven't received any information and I need to organise what to bring with me.

Ive contacted my travel agent who I booked with, so hopefully they get back to me.

Thanks
lilshaz

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:25 am

lilshaz wrote:Hi
Can anyone advise me on whats best to bring on the trek as I still haven't received any information and I need to organise what to bring with me.

Ive contacted my travel agent who I booked with, so hopefully they get back to me.

Thanks

Have you looked at the Trip Details for your specific trip on the Gap Adventures Website? There's a detailed packing list there that tells you what to bring.

Buen viaje!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Return to South America