Alone in Peru? :)

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Alone in Peru? :)

Postby Krazy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:09 pm

Hey all

I am very interesting in taking the Peru Panarama tour this year. I do have 2 questions for previous travelers though.

1) When is the best time to go? I heard that December was excellent, with very few people there. With that in mind, I am currently hoping for an end of November timeframe. How is the weather then? insects?

2) How is it to travel alone on this trip? I know I will not be able to talk anyone I know into going with me, so I was wondering how travelling alone on this trip is like.

Thank you in advance.
Krazy
User Rank: Traveller

Postby chicfit » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:01 pm

Peru is great in December. There are less people and you don't feel so crowded on the trail. I have done the Peru Panorama actually and it was one my first trips with Gap. I have since done many but the first was still one of the best.
chicfit
User Rank: Weekender

going solo

Postby francine_16 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:39 pm

Don't worry about doing any of the GAP trips solo. I have done 4 trips all alone and trust me you will meet people who are also solo. I have yet to go on a trip with GAP that I was the only solo person. I did a Peru trip a couple years ago in December and the weather was great. We could not have asked for better weather on the Inca Trail.
francine_16
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

absolute Peru

Postby tiny28 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am

I travelled to Peru in Jan last year alone. It was amazing. I had no problem travelling on my own. I met a great group of people. The weather was good, but raining on the Inca Trail.
good luck!
tiny28
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

peru

Postby travelgirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am

I did the Inca Trail last February. I travelled solo, but met a whole group of new people, many of which I'm still in touch with. There was actually only one couple on my trip, the rest were single travellers.
travelgirl

PERU Inca Heartland

Postby Mtn Bike Girl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:40 pm

I haven't done a GAP trip yet. However I am contemplating going on the PERU Inca Heartland Trip in May. Would like to talk to anyone else who might be going.
Mtn Bike Girl

Postby Krazy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:46 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. It does make me feel better about this trip.

As for the timeframe, end of November definitely sounds the best.

Thanks again. Oh, and if anyone is going in he same time frame, let me know. ;)

Mtn_Bike_Girl, best of luck finding someone going and have fun.
Krazy

Postby Mtn Bike Girl » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:31 am

Thanks Krazy.
Mtn Bike Girl

Peru in September

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:05 pm

You seem to have made up your mind, but I went to Peru in September, which is at the tail end of the busy season and the dry season so you don't have to worry about rain. I made a lot of friends there who said September was far less busy then August.

Side Note: From the first day we got to Cusco and we had a couple new friends tell us that a few different groups of travellers from all over were planning to meet in Huacachina (Sand Dunes town) to relax for a few days together and that we should pass on that information to other friends we make as the trip goes on. Long story short, we all had the greatest time (20-25 of us) there, between Sandboarding and a midnight hike and bonfire until 7:00 a.m. and just taking it easy for a couple days after what had been a physically exhausting trip to that point.
I highly recommend doing this!

That's All,

Rob B.
http://www.jet-setter.ca
Rob

Postby jlip » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:49 pm

hmmm.... if you're looking for less crowds, maybe think about doing one of the alternate trails. I did the Lares trek last June, and it was amazing. Its much more isolated. Pretty much for the entire hike, the only travellers we came across were just the other people in our group. The focus was on serenity, spectacular scenery and tiny little villages high up in the andes, away from the rest of civilization.

as for travelling on your own, completely nothing to worry about. most of the people in my group were single travellers also, just looking for some amazing trekking. it was really nice that way, everyone was there for the same reasons.

have fun

j.
jlip

Postby ballu » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:16 pm

You'll likely not be the only solo traveler. I went to Peru with GAP solo and had a blast...met a whole bunch of great people, some were travelling solo, others were friends/couples, but everyone was friendly. I think the smaller group sizes help everyone to get to know each other quickly.
ballu

Peru

Postby Donna Rios » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:55 pm

Hi, travelling sola in Peru is great. You meet a lot a new people. I found September the best time to go. Less tourists and not yet into the rainy season. Nov and Dec were quite bad this year. I prefer Northern Peru: Chiclayo and Trujillo are great. Have a great trip! I have listed a few hostels and guides and my Peru blog is you are interested!
http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-aFYk0 ... UTuJ3?cq=1
Donna Rios

Alternative Trail

Postby Rob » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:40 am

For an alternative trail, you could also look into the Salkantay trail, which we did. It's more physically demanding than the Inca Trail but you almost never run into other people and you go from snowy peaks to the edge of the jungle.

Rob
http://www.jet-setter.ca
Rob

Postby Lilian » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:05 pm

I was in Peru during the month of July. I would recommend going during the low season if you can arrange your travels in such a manner. If not, you'll love it anyway...there's just a lot more people, but hey, you'll meet so many interesting folks and make new friends!

Lilian
I love to travel!
Lilian

Traveling solo

Postby 14wanderlust » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks everyone for answering the question around solo travel. I too am thinking of a GAP exursion to Central or South America and wondered about traveling alone. Nice to hear that there are other adventurous souls out there!
14wanderlust

Next

Return to South America