Quito to Rio!

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Quito to Rio!

Postby ellen.kristine.9 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend are super excited to be going on the Great South American Journey - Quito to Rio :D I was wondering if anyone has done this tour and could share some tips / suggestions / things you wish you had known before leaving etc?

Thanks for any help :)
ellen.kristine.9
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Quito to Rio!

Postby TravelFun » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 pm

WOW...you will love this adventure. Here are some pointers worth considering:

1. Vaccinations - make sure they're up-to-date and please check current requirements with your doctor/nurse and not google.
2. Altitude sickness tablets - everyone is impacted differently therefore keep these and take them a couple of days before reaching altitude if you think you maybe affected. I suffered it for 24hrs at the start of crossing the salt flats and thereafter was fine (I travelled south to north so luckily was fine for the inca trek).
3. Water - the higher you get the more water you should drink and alot when you're above 3,000m.
4. Clothing - layers, layers and layers. The temperatures will vary so having layers makes it much easier to add or take off. Don't under estimate the cold so be prepared.
5. The buses have a tendency to blast the air conditioning and so can get cold...keep a sleeping bag or a silk liner with you on the bus and some layers, just in case.
6. Treks - don't rush the treks/walking as it's not a competetion. Go at your own pace and you'll enjoy it more plus there'll always be a guide at the front and back of the group so you'll never be left behind.
7. Nature break - Always keep a roll of toilet paper on you as the nature breaks could be anywhere.
8. Head torch - make sure you have this as it will make it so much easier to have that nature break in the dark.
9. Photos - do not take photos of locals without taking permission as they do not like it.

Be ready to rough it, embrace whatever the continent offers, have alot of patience and just go with the flow...enjoy the experience.

Let us know if you have anything particular in mind.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Re: Quito to Rio!

Postby ellen.kristine.9 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:06 am

Hey,

Thanks for the tips, i really appreciate it! I am from Norway so i know all about how cold it can get and how layers are important! We are not leaving before next year so we have plently of time to plan and have everything sorted before we go!

Thanks again :D
ellen.kristine.9

Return to South America