1-day Inca Trail Hike

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

1-day Inca Trail Hike

Postby peruwithmom » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:31 pm

I just booked a trip with my mom on The Inca Journey for Dec. 25. The 4-day hike wasn't an option, as a result, but I'm trying to decide if the optional 1-day hike is worth the $359. Has anyone done it? If so, what was your experience like? Some additional specific questions:

-How narrow/slippery are the paths? I'm not AS concerned about the strenuousness going uphill, but I tend to be pretty fearful when it comes to slipping.
-How much is downhill?
-What is this like in the rain?
-How difficult a hike is this for someone of average fitness?
-How are the views? Very different from the ones you see by taking the train?
-Who goes on this hike? How many people?

Thanks!
peruwithmom
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 1-day Inca Trail Hike

Postby Janice08 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Check out this link from when this question was asked last September:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26628

As to how difficult the hike is, I did the 4 day hike and I am only "average fitness". However, if you do an online search for Inca Trail difficulty you will get answers that range from "it was easy" to "I'm a marathon runner who exercises every day and it was the worst hike of my life"!

It didn't rain when I did it but I can see the trail getting slippery. Its mostly stone so mud won't be a big issue. Wear shoes that grip (hiking boots or hiking shoes) and bring a trekking pole (or 2). We had the option to rent them for the 4 day hike so I suspect they would also be available for the one day hike. Well worth the investment.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: 1-day Inca Trail Hike

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Is the lares trek an option?
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to South America