SPMP Machu Picchu Adventure help! Luggage assistance

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

SPMP Machu Picchu Adventure help! Luggage assistance

Postby jentheexplorer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:10 am

Hi travel buddies! I'm setting off mid Feb!

Has anyone been on the Machu Picchu Adventure trip (the one that includes the train ride & Lima-Cuzco return flights) ??

What luggage did you & your fellow group members bring?

I'm really confused about what luggage to bring on the trip.

I'd like to bring a medium hard suitcase as we're travelling around a bit in South America but in hotels (honeymoon). Been told that when we reach Cuzco we can leave our suitcases in the hotel (is this true?) but will need another form of luggage when travelling onboard the train towards MP for a couple of days - what size & type??

I can try & borrow another form of main luggage from friends if my hard suitcase will be a issue - what size would you recommend?

What's the luggage allowance on the Lima-Cuzco return flights which are booked by G adventures?

Also if anyone has done the trip, can you arrange mountain biking etc when you get to Cuzco or do you really have to book it prior to departure? Thinking we could do that in our free time in Cuzco

Thanks in advance :))
Last edited by jentheexplorer on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jentheexplorer
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 'Machu Picchu Adventure' help!Luggage assistance

Postby bioteach » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:08 pm

Although I haven't done this particular trip, I have been on a trip in which we took a bus from Cuzco to the Sacred Valley, then the train to Aguas Calientes prior to going to Machu Picchu. We left our big bags in the hotel in Cuzco, and anyone who didn't have a suitable smaller bag to take to the Sacred Valley and Macchu Picchu - 3 days, 2 nights - was given a duffel bag to put their things in.
bioteach
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jentheexplorer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:48 am

Much appreciated biotech :)
jentheexplorer

Postby TravelFun » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:56 am

Hi there,

Do read the trip details https://www.gadventures.com/trips/machu ... at-to-take which has the following note:
NB - For all trains travelling to Machu Picchu, Peru Rail has set a weight limit of 5KG and a size limit of 157CM (height + width + depth) for all luggage to be brought onboard the train. Please be prepared to separate out enough clothing for your visit to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu into a smaller bag as your large bags will remain in your hotel in Cusco.

I would recommend a daypack/daybag to carry around your essentials such as camera, sunblock, water etc and either enough space to hold a few days of clothing or take a empty bag in your suitcase and use it as and when you need it. You'll have an awesome time.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby jentheexplorer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks Travelfun :) guides very useful! Shall start checking off that packing list! :)
jentheexplorer

Postby Janice08 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:50 pm

TravelFun wrote:Hi there,

Do read the trip details https://www.gadventures.com/trips/machu ... at-to-take which has the following note:
NB - For all trains travelling to Machu Picchu, Peru Rail has set a weight limit of 5KG and a size limit of 157CM (height + width + depth) for all luggage to be brought onboard the train. Please be prepared to separate out enough clothing for your visit to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu into a smaller bag as your large bags will remain in your hotel in Cusco.

While travelling light is always a good idea, I find it interesting that Peru Rail has a weight limit of 5 kg when all the hikers coming back from the Inca Trail hike are bound to have more than that - their daypacks plus the 6 kg that the porters carried. They might check on the departing trip but no-one checked on the return trip. Your luggage will be stored on shelves at one end of the train car that you are in so it does have to fit on the shelves and be small enough to manoeuver down the train isle. As Travelfun suggested, either bring a small day pack or a smaller duffle bag for that part of the trip. The bag you use as a carryon for your flight over would probably suffice.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad

Postby jentheexplorer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Thank you Janice! Managed to borrow a duffle bag big enough for the train from
Cuzco! Cannot wait to go... Only little over a fortnight to go! Do we need water purifiers in Peru?
jentheexplorer

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:52 pm

jentheexplorer wrote:Thank you Janice! Managed to borrow a duffle bag big enough for the train from
Cuzco! Cannot wait to go... Only little over a fortnight to go! Do we need water purifiers in Peru?

Absolutely. Had a couple of friends get quite sick after drinking the water when on the inca trail.

Advise from my travel doctor was to only drink bottled water, including when brushing teeth and to avoid ice and post mix soft drink.

kcupp95

Postby jentheexplorer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 am

Kcupp95, thank you. G adventures trip doc mentions to bring re-fillable bottles. I'll be sure to stop at the pharmacy & pick some purifier tabs now!
jentheexplorer

Postby markmol » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Hi Jen,
when i did the trek with G, every evening & some lunch breaks they would ask how much water you needed for the next day & would boil the water & you filled your bottles before you started each day. i still used purifier tabs just to be sure.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jentheexplorer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks Mark. I stopped by Boots this evening & picked some tabs up. Got about enough for 50 litres for £6.50. That'll do us & we'll buy bottled water as and when we need it.

Really greatful for everyone's input :) x
jentheexplorer

Postby kcupp95 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:13 pm

markmol wrote:Hi Jen,
when i did the trek with G, every evening & some lunch breaks they would ask how much water you needed for the next day & would boil the water & you filled your bottles before you started each day. i still used purifier tabs just to be sure.

Yeah that was the water my friends got sick from.

kcupp95

Re: SPMP Machu Picchu Adventure help! Luggage assistance

Postby jentheexplorer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:56 am

Maybe of some use... What I found out a few weeks ago when I contacted G Adventures HQ..

What's the luggage allowance on the Lima-Cuzco return flights which are booked by G adventures? - 23KG

Suitcases & large luggage can be left behind at Cusco hotel. Looked on Peru rail website, luggage allowance 5kg bag/backpack (62 linear inches). If you have something larger they'll secure store it for you or may pop it in a 'cart' if it's a wheeler
jentheexplorer

Return to South America