Why no GAP trips to North America??

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Why no GAP trips to North America??

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Why start in Seattle? Vancouver is just a quick hop across the border

Oh, that's even better! Should we ferry down to Port Townsend?

Bottom line is that it would be relatively easy to create a reasonably priced, good adventure trip in the US. I only know the areas west of the Rocky Mountains, but there are a lifetime of adventures to be had complete with rustic campgrounds.

I can't stand being in a campground with loud music, TELEVISION and SECURITY LIGHTS. I mean really! :x I wish those people would stay home and camp in their back yards (or in the Wal-Mart parking lot--same difference). :evil:
JaliscoJudy

Postby LadyBird » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:31 am

I do believe that 2010 will be the year that GAP represents in it's homeland....Canada. Check out late October this year....it's usually when all the new trips come online.
LadyBird

Postby Zuleika » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:32 pm

JaliscoJudy wrote:
I can't stand being in a campground with loud music, TELEVISION and SECURITY LIGHTS. I mean really! :x I wish those people would stay home and camp in their back yards (or in the Wal-Mart parking lot--same difference). :evil:

SOOO with you on that one - LOL
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Zuleika » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 pm

LadyBird wrote:I do believe that 2010 will be the year that GAP represents in it's homeland....Canada. Check out late October this year....it's usually when all the new trips come online.

Excellent - I defo want to visit - but same applies - wilderness, beautiful country and decent campsites - no tv/security lights!!!!
Zuleika

Postby photo_tripper » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:07 pm

I think there would be some excellent potential trips for North America. Some of the posters here have been focused specifically on parks, but if I was designing a Gap Trip, I would include parks and cities.

A few road trips I've done that would make for great Gap Trips:

New Mexico: Hiking/camping at Bandelier, visiting Chaco Canyon; there are so many things in Santa Fe, Taos, and Albuquerque; the lava caves at Grants. Also, Ship Rock. Plus, nearby Mesa Verde in Colorado.

Pacific Northwest - lots of incredible National Parks, plus Portland, Seattle, Vancouver... The drive along the Oregon coast is lovely, with some great things to see along the way. And there are some parks there that will let you rent a yurt (sp?) to stay the night in. The Vancouver Anthropology museum has some wonderful First Peoples art.

Canadian Maritime - Halifax, local art, Peggy's Rock, the Ovens Provincial Park, rock hunting in Truro, Sackville Wildfowl Refuge in News Brunswick, Hopewell Rocks, lots of cool light houses, whale watching, hiking.
photo_tripper
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Alpine_Resort » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:27 am

Visit Canada! There are many national and provincial parks and they're gorgeous. Skip Niagara Falls. It's become far too commercialized. The West coast has the mountains, rain forest on Vancouver Island, fantastic boat tours and lots of open space with rustic camping opportunities. We did an East Coast tour from Ontario several years ago and camped in provincial parks on the way. they all have great educational programs. A week on Newfoundland wasn't enough. Skip the cities and see the real Canada. You really do need a driver though. Most Canadians drive as you can't get anywhere without a car as our population is so spread out.
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

I like some of the new North America trips GAP has listed. Am seriously contemplating their Alaska trip for this fall.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby Fieter » Fri May 07, 2010 4:00 am

Probably way too late to respond, but I did a camping trip from NY to LA more then a decade ago with AmeriCan Adventures. I think they have been taken over by trek america.

It was great!

Sophie
Fieter
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Zuleika » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Im too old for Trek America :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Zuleika

Postby graybeard » Sun May 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Zuleika,

One issue to ponder... if you do not drive or have someone else with a car, it is next to impossible to get to the back-county, wilderness area to camp, hike, etc. Public transportation is good between large cities, fair within some cities, dismal in others.

If you are thinking about coming out West (an Americanism for Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc. but NOT California.) you could spend months. I've lived here in Denver for 30 years and still am finding new and pretty places to go.

Feel free to PM me (assuming that function is currently working) if you think you'd be in the neighborhood. Be glad to assist.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby onyx007 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:44 am

I did a tour with a company called suntrek. It was a three weeks tour with a van and tents. In some places we stayed at youth hostels, but most of the time on camping grounds and cooked there our own food.

We started in New York, went to Niagara Falls, Chicago, the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone N.P., Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite N.P. and ended the trip in San Francisco.
It was a great tour, and for someone living ouside the States and knowing the places from many movies it was awesome to see it by myself and travelling with other people together.

The only thing I wouldn't do again is the camping, but as it was the only company (exept Trek America) who does tours in North America I had to do it with them. I would like to have more tours like this but spending the nights in hotels or hostels and not having to cook my own food.
onyx007

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:35 pm

Yes - thats exactly the route I would like to go, its a shame GAP trips are very lacking in USA. However I have found another company that do tons and really fancy one - a camping road trip - that goes a bit like this (GAP take note please! I would do it with you!):
Zuleika

Postby onyx007 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:03 am

Zuleika wrote:Yes - thats exactly the route I would like to go, its a shame GAP trips are very lacking in USA. However I have found another company that do tons and really fancy one - a camping road trip - that goes a bit like this (GAP take note please! I would do it with you!):

That's the one I did, but as it is only a camping trip without pre booked hostels we were able to skip Reno and went instead to Las Vegas.
onyx007

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:41 pm

This one's with Intrepid - they have a lot of choice - I guess because they're not based in North America - seems most adventure companies don't really focus on their own patch - which is fair enough I guess.
Zuleika

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:10 am

If you're going to do that trip, try to schedule it so you hit Cody while they have their rodeo. Personally, I'd go northward from Yellowstone to Minneapolis and then up into Canada, westward to Vancouver then drop down through Seattle and Portland. I wasn't as impressed as most people with Napa/Sonoma Valleys.
ExplorerWannaBe

PreviousNext

Return to North America