San Francisco

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

San Francisco

Postby keith » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 pm

My dad is going on vacation to San Fran for a week or so and wants to find some cheap accommodation. He is trying to find a room with private bathroom. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost." J. R. R. Tolkien
keith
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Sierra_Travels » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:01 pm

Union Square is loaded with a variety of less-expensive hotels. You may even find some bargains in the $40-70 range, but San Francisco in general - like most major cities - can be pricey.

My favorite hotel is the hip n' historic Hotel Union Square. I've had rooms there as low as $89; room rates are usually $120-140ish. It's right on one of the cable car lines, only half a block from the Union Square turn-around - and likewise one short block from the nearest BART stop, which means that it's easy access to both SFO and OAK airports.

It's also handy to the Metreon and the Convention Ctr, within easy walking distance of tons of restaurants, shops and clubs. I love this hotel and stay here every time I'm in SF.
Life's a journey. Get lost along the way.
meryddiansjourneys.blogspot.com
Sierra_Travels
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby keith » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost." J. R. R. Tolkien
keith

Re: San Francisco

Postby yannick » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm going on the coast to coast eastbound trip this summer, starting in san Francisco. In the evening i'll meet the tourgroup, but my flight will arrive 1 day earlier. So i'll have 1.5 day for myself in SF.

I've been there once before (2 years ago) for 2 days, back then i visited Alcatraz, pier 39 (i believe it was 39, correct me if i'm wrong) and some more things. What are the things i really must do in the 1,5 day i have before joining the group?

I was thinking about renting a bicycle (i'm dutch so i'm used to do everything on a bicycle ;-) ) is this doable?
yannick
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: San Francisco

Postby onyx007 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 am

yannick wrote:I'm going on the coast to coast eastbound trip this summer, starting in san Francisco. In the evening i'll meet the tourgroup, but my flight will arrive 1 day earlier. So i'll have 1.5 day for myself in SF.

I've been there once before (2 years ago) for 2 days, back then i visited Alcatraz, pier 39 (i believe it was 39, correct me if i'm wrong) and some more things. What are the things i really must do in the 1,5 day i have before joining the group?

I was thinking about renting a bicycle (i'm dutch so i'm used to do everything on a bicycle ;-) ) is this doable?

I think down at the harbour you'll find a space which will rent bikes and if you stay close to the shore it's ok to go biking. The rest is a little bit steep. There are not so many hills in the Netherlands :mrgreen: And as I can think of it might be even faster by bike than by public transport.

Another nice place to see and also to bike is the "Golden Gate Park". It's quite huge. On Top of this park is also the "Hippie"-Part of SF with nice colorfull buildings.

Pier 39 or "the fishermans wharf" is right and Alcatraz is great.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to North America