Planning a vacation Somewhere

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Planning a vacation Somewhere

Postby trex » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or good travel destinations in mind. I live in Vancouver and would like to plan a trip involving a lot of different things for example kayaking, rafting, rock climbing, hiking, and wildlife observing. I would prefer to stay within North America. I am in fairly decent shape and can take on quite a physical challenge.

Please if anyone has any suggestions their help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
trex
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby vinnie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:53 pm

Look into going north. There are any number of boats heading north from downtwon Vancouver to Alaska. You could get off in Skagway and take the train to Whitehourse. There is a great river for rafting available starting in downtown Whitehourse. You can get more information from:

Department of Tourism & Culture
Government of Yukon
Box 2703
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 2C6
or call toll-free: 1-800-661-0494 (call only during normal work hours as this is a government department).

There was a very nice story on Northbeat (on CBC North) last week about adventeure travel in the terratory.

You could also stay on the boat until it reaches Anchorage. All of the activities you list would also be availabe in the Anchorage area
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Sierra_Travels » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:44 am

Oregon and California and Montana all offer those kind of adventures within the States. (Not to mention the currently-weak bargain makes US tours a bit of a bargain for Canadians right now.) A friend of mine did a trip with ARTA (http://www.arta.org/) on the Rogue and she loved it.

I happen to love Yosemite, and you can do all those activities within the park. It can be crazy on summer weekends, but if you go midweek, it's wonderful. :)
Life's a journey. Get lost along the way.
meryddiansjourneys.blogspot.com
Sierra_Travels

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:31 pm

Oregon and California and Montana all offer those kind of adventures within the States.

Hey, don't forget Idaho! It has more miles of whitewater than any other state except Alaska. The Snake and Salmon Rivers have some great rafting and there are many places with world class kayaking. This website has some good info about rafting, kayaking, and rock climing under the "do" section:

http://www.visitidaho.org

TravelLight, JaliscoJudy
JaliscoJudy

Postby jackmcmanus21 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Idaho is fantastic...definitely underrated. One of my favorite areas is the northwest
jackmcmanus21
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Planning a vacation Somewhere

Postby bll18@telus.net » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:10 pm

trex wrote:I was wondering if anyone has any tips or good travel destinations in mind. I live in Vancouver and would like to plan a trip involving a lot of different things for example kayaking, rafting, rock climbing, hiking, and wildlife observing. I would prefer to stay within North America. I am in fairly decent shape and can take on quite a physical challenge.

Please if anyone has any suggestions their help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Why dont you try gaps adventure to Quebec!
bll18@telus.net

Re: Planning a vacation Somewhere

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:11 pm

For what you listed, I'd probably start with Alaska then shift to Idaho and Colorado. Yosemite of course is a Mecca of sorts for climbers but there are tons of different climbs and hikes with a variety of wildlife in Colorado.

If you get here at the right time you can engage in the Pikes Peak Marathon (13.1 miles up, 13.1 down) and hit a lot of the 14ers (peaks topping out at or above 14,000 ft) before or after.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to North America