Hawaii tours?

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hawaii tours?

Postby maddack » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:39 pm

It appears GAP doesn't have Hawaii tours. Does anyone have knowledge of any other company doing similar tours to GAP in Hawaii?

I did some google searching and found some tours but they are generally too expensive (for single traveller i could not make choice to share with a "stranger" in some) and short/hectic.

I'm looking at staying 3-4 weeks in february.
I don't want to travel every/every other day, rather chill at every place a few days.
Visiting every island is NOT a must, but at least two. I can come back another time for the rest!

Any input is appreciated!

/Ville, Sweden
2011 Florida, Germany, Norway
2012 NY+Cali, Italy, Peru, Dominica
2013 Vietnam+Cambo, Spain, Japan, Iceland
2014 Costa Rica+Panama, Poland->Croatia, Australia
2015 New Zealand+Fiji.
maddack
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hawaii tours?

Postby kcupp95 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Intrepid has a 10day tour.

I think somewhere like Hawaii where you're wanting to stay quite a long time, you'd be best to do it yourself and stay in hostels.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Be aware February is rainy season in Hawaii.

As kcupp95 said, you're probably better doing it yourself if you're going to stay anywhere for an extended period. Lots of guidebooks on Hawaii but for a first time visit, I'd recommend a couple weeks on O`ahu doing the major tourist activities (Waikiki Beach, Sea Life Park, Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc.) as well as some of the minor ones (shaved ice at Waiola Shave Ice in Moilili or Matsumoto Shave Ice in Haleiwa, artist community in Haleiwa, hang out on the North Shore) and just plain chilling in Waimanalo (near Sea Life Park). Definitely snorkel at Hana`Uma Bay and be prepared to buy koi food for the reef fish.

Honolulu subsidizes their public transportation called TheBus. Not exactly fast but a cheap way to circumnavigate the island. No frustrations in trying to find a parking spot in Waikiki or Hana`Uma!

You could then spend a week at one of the Neighbor Islands. I'd probably choose the Big Island over Maui or Kauai due to the plethora of things to do: Volcanoes National Park (easily worth 2-3 days), Kona coffee and macadamia nut plantations, deep sea fishing, etc. Again, pretty easy to set your own routine with a good guide book.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby maddack » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks for the tips. The intreprid trip is 4 islands in 10 days, just what I want to avoid.
2011 Florida, Germany, Norway
2012 NY+Cali, Italy, Peru, Dominica
2013 Vietnam+Cambo, Spain, Japan, Iceland
2014 Costa Rica+Panama, Poland->Croatia, Australia
2015 New Zealand+Fiji.
maddack

Postby kcupp95 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 am

maddack wrote:Thanks for the tips. The intreprid trip is 4 islands in 10 days, just what I want to avoid.

Most people don't have 3-4 weeks to spend in Hawaii hence why tours available are covering a large amount of places in a short amount of time.

You'll best of arranging your own trip, I'd be surprised if you could find a tour in Hawaii for that length of time.
kcupp95

Return to North America