Hawaiian Islands best to stay

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hawaiian Islands best to stay

Postby heliosmj12 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:49 pm

Which Hawaiian island is the best to stay on, I want to do Pearl Harbour, so I'm looking at staying on Oahu, so it's easier to allow for that. If I don't go to the other islands, am I missing out on much? Any other recommendations will be greatly accepted.
heliosmj12
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hawaiian Islands best to stay

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:01 pm

I usually advise people do all the touristy things on Oahu on their first visit to the islands: Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, Waikiki Beach, etc. On subsequent visits, you can enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the North Shore on Oahu or one of the Neighbor Islands.

On the Big Island (aka Hawai`i), you can experience 4 different climates in the same day (rain forest in the north, plains and tundra in the center, desert down south), macadamia and coffee plantations on the Kona side, Volcanos National Park (definitely a must but not necessarily for your first trip), and perhaps the small town atmosphere at Hilo.

On Maui, you can go up to Haleakala and see the sunrise over the clouds, hike to the Iao Needle, drive out to Hana (not quite as adventurous as it once was since they paved it but still quite a drive), and see the former whaling village of Lahaina (again, not as sleepy as it was in the 70s or even 80s).

Moloka`i and Lana`i are still pretty sleepy islands, great for relaxation and snorkeling. Kauai has Waimea Canyon and some great scenic vistas as well as small towns to visit but most visitors just stay at the resorts.

You can't get to Kaho`olawe or Ni`ihau without a prearranged pass so don't worry about it -- not much to see on Kaho`olawe anyway as it was a former bombing range for the Navy.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby graybeard » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 pm

I've only been to Kauai and found it to be a lot of fun. Stayed on the north end near Princeville in a condo. Bought food and cooked on the lanai. Lots of GREAT fresh fish selections available.Buy your food at Costco and at the numerous farmers markets. Spend time snorkeling, hiking in the rainforest and Kalalua trail, visited Napali coast, some hang at beach time (Not touristy!), some sightseeing (the lighthouse area is lovely), more. Plus river kayaking in the Hanalei bay. Never even had time to get to the dry SW part of the island where Waimea Canyon is located... maybe next time. Lots to do there. I'd go back in a minute!
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby truth3001 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:27 am

Like the below and all trips its comes down to what you are trying to get accomplished. I did what ExploreWannaBe did in Oahu, it took me 2 trips but it was well worth it. My next trip will be to the big island where i plan to repeat the same.

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:I usually advise people do all the touristy things on Oahu on their first visit to the islands: Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, Waikiki Beach, etc. On subsequent visits, you can enjoy the relaxed atmosphere of the North Shore on Oahu or one of the Neighbor Islands.

On the Big Island (aka Hawai`i), you can experience 4 different climates in the same day (rain forest in the north, plains and tundra in the center, desert down south), macadamia and coffee plantations on the Kona side, Volcanos National Park (definitely a must but not necessarily for your first trip), and perhaps the small town atmosphere at Hilo.

On Maui, you can go up to Haleakala and see the sunrise over the clouds, hike to the Iao Needle, drive out to Hana (not quite as adventurous as it once was since they paved it but still quite a drive), and see the former whaling village of Lahaina (again, not as sleepy as it was in the 70s or even 80s).

Moloka`i and Lana`i are still pretty sleepy islands, great for relaxation and snorkeling. Kauai has Waimea Canyon and some great scenic vistas as well as small towns to visit but most visitors just stay at the resorts.

You can't get to Kaho`olawe or Ni`ihau without a prearranged pass so don't worry about it -- not much to see on Kaho`olawe anyway as it was a former bombing range for the Navy.
truth3001

Return to North America