How to pack for USA Hike, Bike & Raft (NUSA)

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How to pack for USA Hike, Bike & Raft (NUSA)

Postby MCKEEN » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:41 pm

Not sure what to pack for this as the pack list on itinerary seems to a universal USA trip pack list.
My trip is last two weeks of May.
So:
-Backpacking boots or trail runners?
-12C sleeping bag appropriate? ( I'm a cold sleeper)
-Neoprene socks, vest for rafting?
-shoes for canyoning? sport sandals, water running shoes?

I've almost exclusively hiked in cool/cold climates and wear merino everything.
Is that a terrible idea in dry desert climate?

Any tips are appreciated!! :)
MCKEEN
User Rank: Traveller

Re: How to pack for USA Hike, Bike & Raft (NUSA)

Postby linus_k » Tue May 06, 2014 4:34 pm

First of all - you're in for a real treat! I did this trip last year and thought it was absolutely amazing. I did the trip in mid-June, so it might have been a little bit warmer than it will be when you go.

Also, I'm no expert hiker so take my advice for what it is :)

Backpacking boots or trail runners?

I used trail runners (Salomon XA 3D GTX) which in my opinion where perfect. Not too warm, but still good grip. Good for both travel, mountainbiking and hiking.

-12C sleeping bag appropriate? ( I'm a cold sleeper)

In most places you will barely need a sleeping bag at all (again, my reference is mid-June). However, Bryce is at a high altitude and it will get cold at night. I had a +10C sleeping bag and I can't remember the last time I was that cold, it was really freezing until the sun came up. For all other places +10C was more than enough.

Neoprene socks, vest for rafting?

I had swim trunks, merino t-shirt and water running shoes. Mostly good enough, but I did get cold at times when there was a lot of splashing.

shoes for canyoning? sport sandals, water running shoes?

Bring water running shoes for rafting and hikes in water (like the Narrows in Zion)! I had a pair of Salomon TechAmphibian 3, which where really nice. There was no water when we went canyoneering, so I used my trail runners there.

Merino clothes is perfect for this trip! I had merino socks, underwear and t-shirts. Lighter, breathing, and doesn't smell even after heavy sweating! On the warm hikes I soaked my t-shirt in water whenever I got a chance, great way to stay cool and clothes dry extremely fast in the dry air.

A few suggestions of things that I especially enjoyed:
    - Do the Angels Landing hike (all the way!) in Zion. Not as scary as I thought and an absolutely breathtaking view at the top.
    - Rent a mountainbike and just ride around in Bryce. We did a ride to the reservoir and back on small gravel roads.
    - Sleep under bare sky on the banks of the Colorado River!
    - Hike down the Grand Canyon Bright Angel trail to the Plateau and back. Start out early because it will take a while. And keep in mind that the hike back up is very streneous!

Also, drink loads and loads of water!

If you have any further questions just ask, I will be happy to help. I hope you'll enjoy the trip, I'm most certain that you will love it! :)

I uploaded a couple of videos from the trip to youtube, you can find them here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOqTXPFrRs (a little bit of everything)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lba66o18sEo (rafting)

Enjoy!

/Linus
linus_k
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: How to pack for USA Hike, Bike & Raft (NUSA)

Postby MCKEEN » Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Great info.
Thanks! :D
MCKEEN

Return to North America