Camping equipment...

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Camping equipment...

Postby jhorrod87 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:10 am

Hello All,

I am booked on the 'southern Cross country westbounf trip ' (NewYork - San Fran) departing on 4th October!

16 nights of the tour is camping, can anyone let me know what the camoping 'mats' are like? Are they the thin foam mats (like yoga ones) or are they airbeds/ inflatable mats?

I suffer with few back problems and not sure if to bring an inflatable mat with me but means even less room in my backpack?!

Also what will the weather be like in North America in October, does it rain a lot?

Thanks,

Jodie
jhorrod87
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Camping equipment...

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 am

jhorrod87 wrote:Hello All,

I am booked on the 'southern Cross country westbounf trip ' (NewYork - San Fran) departing on 4th October!

Also what will the weather be like in North America in October, does it rain a lot?

October is a shoulder season in much of the US, transitioning from warm to cold as summer moves to fall. As such, you should expect to have pleasant temps during the day (light jacket may or may not be needed, depending on where you are) and cool temps at night (long sleeves and pants recommended). In certain areas, like the mountains out west, it may get downright cold. It is not uncommon to drop to freezing at night, especially near the end of October. I would bring a thin winter hat and gloves for sitting around a campfire.

As for rain, that's impossible to predict anywhere, let alone across a huge section of the continent. Bring a rain jacket, keep it handy. Severe thunderstorms are not so much a threat that time of year most of where you're going, but cold, steady rain can happen at any time. October in the northern parts can be clear and beautiful (no haze in the air, cool breezes coming in from the north, trees changing colors, etc.), but it can also turn gray and overcast, there's simply no way to know. Enjoy your time in the US!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby collywobbles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:51 pm

hi jhorrod87 :D

I am back from a camping trip in Canada. Now I know its not the same as your trip but I think the camping equipment would be much the same no matter where you are. we had a 2 man tent easy to put up and take down . In some cases some of the pegs would not go into the ground as some campsites had concrete bases so, it was nails and a rock to hammer them in. :D The matteress were the inflatable ones ,but you would need to give them a few puffs of air into them .They where thin but at the same time quiet comfy. In the morninings packing up tent was quick,except some day s when our tents were wet after rain .We used to leave out the outer fly to dry off before packing up. The matteresses had to be deflated so we could roll them up and put them in to the stuff sac. That was a pain because it took about 20mins for me to get all the air out and to roll it. Sorry cant help you weather wise but at night in Canada we wore a hat and warm socks at night .It did get very cold at night.

Hope the camping info will help you

cheers :D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kcupp95 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:50 pm

collywobbles wrote:hi jhorrod87 :D
Sorry cant help you weather wise but at night in Canada we wore a hat and warm socks at night .It did get very cold at night.

cheers :D

Jealous of just the hat and socks....I was in thermals, ski socks, mittens, hat, ski jacket and still freezing.....
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby jhorrod87 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:30 am

Cheers guys for your info, very helpful :D
jhorrod87

Return to North America