just back from national parks of canadian rockies ncru

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

just back from national parks of canadian rockies ncru

Postby collywobbles » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm

:D hi all
I have just come back from ncru tip candian rockies westbound and I thought i would give ye an imput on how the trip went for all those who are thinking of doing it. First off it was an a amazing trip i lived everybit of it . We started in calgary which is a very nice city . We met our CEO who was Mac and who was a fine ceo ,very good,very informative. He was also a fine cook which was fab.

The first night we went to Banff N.P. camping . It was great the weather was good ,tents easy enough to put up but the matteress mats that are supposed to inflate were a pain. I cud never deflate mine in the morning to pack it into pacsac .It took about 20 min to pack away but that was only a minor problem .There was 13 of us from canada ,ireland ,australia ,switzerland ,danish and german and mac . The vans were ok a bit of a tight sqeeze specially if u had a back pack, more space up front but we had to switch seats everyday .We had fab food on our trip ate well with plenty stops along the way for snacks .The scenery is awesome, right from the town of Banff , up sulphur mt on the gondola ,The hikes we did up to Agnes teahouse ,and for the more energetic up to the beehive. Lake Louise was beautiful .Tea at the tea house was great, very busy up there had to push for seats. We also visited emerald lake and the takakkaw falls . awesome.

And then onto Yoho np .I did the rafting on kicking horse river. It was a blast . I am not a big fan of water ,but i am glad i did it. Some of the group went to visit the grizzley bear habitat . They enjoyed it. There was only1 bear there. The colombia icefield was great according to some who took the snow coach up the glacier.I ,myself and some others hiked up parkers ridge and made a snoman up there . We could view the glacier .Photos will be posted soon .We also went to mette hot springs. It was brill.

jasper next we went hiking around maligne lake . Some had the option to climb bald hills but that was closed so they did another option. It was a dull damp day there. I did the mary schaffer loop around lake. we also stopped off to see Mount Robson Clouds were hanging over the top of the mountain. Mette hot springs was brill. sitting in the hotsprings in the rain haha

One of the highlights was Wells grey ranch . A saloon with swinging doors and stalls for bathrooms, bonfire at night guys in cowboy gear brill. We all went horse riding for 4 hrs . It was supposed to be 3 hrs long . We were quiet sore when we finished. It was great 2 nights there .We also visited helmcken falls.beautiful.
We also went for a swim in Green lake which is in a town named after 1 guy. He owns it all.

Whistler was next on our list.It is a beautiful town. We had our group photos at the rings with our t shirts from g adventures quiet a few people were wondering who we were haha. We also visite Coombs farmers market. The goats are still on the roof munching away on the grass.
drive throught Mc millian P.P throught catherdral trail to see the oldest fir tree. And then we went to Tofino another favourite of mine. a small fishing town. we had our xmas dinner that night with Seceret Santa. The next day we had a full day zodiac whale watching awesome We also had a trip to the sulphur hot springs at hot spring cove. Be aware it is a walk of 798 steps about half hour walk to springs great : Very hot springs . I prefered the mette hot springs.When we were on the way back to the harbour coming back on the zodiac i was sitting up front of zodiac and 2 whales sprung out of the water in front of us .It was amazing ,only got a photo of his tail : I think the moment had us speechless. Back to camp that night and to a Sockeye salmon dinner yummy.

The next day we travelled to Victoria. Another very nice town. The campsite was very dark . Some lights would have been good along the roadways but nice, concrete bases not very friendly when u try to put tent pegs in :Next stop onto a ferry to Vancouver . We made the early ferry. It gave us a bit more time in the City. We had a city tour of Vancouver . A beautiful city, busy lots of history . We had our final meal in the docklands at a harbourside resturaunt.

Last day saturday, we had breakfast in a place called the elbow room. if anyone knows it you know that it is very entertaining for meals haha :lol: I left Vancouver on the saturday . We stayed at The Ramada hotel which was nice , very central near the Canada line station where I could get the train back to the Airport. I wished that I booked another day to visit more . It was a really enjoyable tour . I hope to have photos as soon as i sort them out I will post them. it was a very full on active trip, up early on the go all day activities, some late dinners some rainy days some freight trains near the campsites . I wish i had brought earplugs :lol: :lol: it is the only way to see the Rockies the real Canada. We saw only a fraction of it but boy was it great.

We also had some thunder storms, saw some bears ,moose , wapitiase not sure of spelling ,squirrles everywhere .Overall i would recomend this trip. The scenery stunning . friendly people .It was amazing to meet so many Canadians who have never travelled to see the Rockies. It is a vast country.Anyone who has a question feel free to ask.

p.s mc d onalds are everwhere but we did not need them :D

cheers for now
photos soon! :)
Last edited by collywobbles on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: just back from national parks of canadian rockies ncru

Postby DanielBMe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks for the review! I was very curious to hear about this trip. Just one thing would have made this review much better....the use of punctuation! Boy your review is really hard to read without it.

I'm still not quite sure when you actually did this trip, December or now?
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Looks to me like he may have typed that review on his phone. I appreciate the detailed review.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby graybeard » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 pm

Nope. The writer is clearly from Dublin and studied at the James Joyce school of grammer! :lol:
graybeard

Postby collywobbles » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:52 pm

hi guys :)

Sorry about lack of punctuatuion . I will try to improve on it the next time i review. I did this trip last week. I tend to type quick and I forget to stop , :oops: and no graybeard i am not from dublin . but thanks for appreciating my review explorewannabe. As i stated it was an awesome trip and it is amazing how many Canadians we met on it have never explored that part of their country. If you would like to ask any morequestions regarding this trip feel free to ask
and I will do my best to answer . cheers guys.

ps i loaded up some pictures on www.flicker.com/photos/collywobbles canadian set. I hope you like them. :D
collywobbles

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 pm

collywobbles wrote:I tend to type quick and I forget to stop , :oops: and no graybeard i am not from dublin . but thanks for appreciating my review explorewannabe.

Christ, man, then I take it back. Learn to use some punctuation and white space! :p

;)
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby collywobbles » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:11 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:
collywobbles wrote:I tend to type quick and I forget to stop , :oops: and no graybeard i am not from dublin . but thanks for appreciating my review explorewannabe.

Christ, man, then I take it back. Learn to use some punctuation and white space! :p

;)Hiya ,
Sorry about that.
Have it sorted out. Thanks ! it wont happen again.
Cheers :)
collywobbles

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Oddly enough, I'm one of those Canadians who hasn't been through my own country. I'm actually thinking about this trip for next year but it's competing with the Yellowstone and Yosemite trip in the U.S. or maybe an Arctic Expedition, Realm of the Polar Bear In Depth.

Did you feel you spent enough time in the parks and get to really explore them or was it more of a quick look and get out? What I like about the Yellowstone and Yosemite camping trip is the amount of time spent in the park itself.
DanielBMe

Postby collywobbles » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:38 am

Hi danielBme

Yeah i felt i would liked to have stayed longer to explore some of the national parks. We spent 1 night in Victoria and the park we stayed in was beautiful , quiet dark at night but the following morning we discovered beautiful waterfalls, people swimming but we could not stay. It was a quick visit . most of our stays were for 1 - 2 nights only .

Banff was fab and we spent 2 nights there . I know we had a long trip to do . We travelled about 3000km so I suppose that is the reason for short stays in the parks. If you do decide to go you will love it. The trip is not run all year round due to road conditions. It seems roads get snowed under during the winter and the trip is not viaable.There was 1 couple and their son with us from Toronto and they were seeing that part of Canada for the 1st time. Overall an enjoyable trip :D
collywobbles

Postby sinecure » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed my hood. Do you remember where you stayed on Vancouver Island?
sinecure

Postby collywobbles » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 pm

sinecure wrote:Glad to hear you enjoyed my hood. Do you remember where you stayed on Vancouver Island?

Hiya

sorry not to sure of the name of the place we stayed in. I do know it was in a residential aera about 40mins from the ferry. We thought it unusual for a n.p to be near residential aera. We stayed in a place called green pines in Tofino. That was the only campsite that had no hot water or showers but it was near a beach.

cheers

PS We also found Whistlers secret the Hem loft. It took some time to find it but we did . It was quiet dark and wet when we went to it and quiet hard to get to it but some of the group got to it and took photos . It looked fab. A tree house up on trees built on land that dont belong to the guy who built it.
collywobbles

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Also did this trip, but a different group. Have to say my review would identical. The campsite in Victoria/Tofino/Whistler are about 15-20minutes out of the main town so you stick with the group so you can get back at night!!

I also spent 3 days in Calgary and then 3 days in Vancouver either side of the tour, so if you're looking for things to do, ask away!

Some of my photos from the trip http://www.flickr.com/photos/somebodyth ... 150892978/

Any questions feel free to pm me!
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby chardonais » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 am

Very happy you guys enjoyed Canada! I live a couple of hours from Calgary, so am very fortunate to be able to visit these places on a semi-regular basis - even in winter!

I went to the tea house this past summer for the first time - great hike!

Dianna

chardonais

Postby collywobbles » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:38 pm

chardonais wrote:Very happy you guys enjoyed Canada! I live a couple of hours from Calgary, so am very fortunate to be able to visit these places on a semi-regular basis - even in winter!

I went to the tea house this past summer for the first time - great hike!

Dianna

Hey Dianna :D

Yeah the hike up to Agnes Teahouse was great. When we got there it was very busy and crowded. You kinda have to fight your way in to get a table 8) but eventually after about 20min we got one. The tea was great . so were the cookies. Treking back down after in the middle of a torrential rain storm . Absolutley drenched. :lol: Off we went in to the Fairmont hotel to sit in the lobby and people watch. I thought it was amazing that they had a cushion in the lobby for dogs and a big bowl of water for them as well. Took a picture as it is not something I see back here in Ireland :lol: So overall a beautiful country. Really had a great holiday :D
collywobbles

Return to North America