Coast To Coast Eastbound

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Coast To Coast Eastbound

Postby gabriellasofia » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:36 am

Hey guys!

I'm going on this tour at the end of June and I'm really nervous... Have any of you done this or a similar tour before? I want to know what kind of camp sites I'll be staying at (so I can stalk them online), what sorts of food I will be eating, and how I can pack lightly!

Please get in touch as any info would be welcome :) I'm only 20 years old and I'm going all by myself!

Love
GabriellaSofia
x
gabriellasofia
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Coast To Coast Eastbound

Postby twoeightnine » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 pm

I've lead this trip a few times.

Campgrounds are, for the most part, incredibly nice and full of amenities. Think full bathrooms and warm showers, electricity, laundry and some pools. Some might not look like much but have everything we need plus a great location. Exceptions include when we stay directly in National Parks. There won't be a pool, electricity might not be available and showers may cost money. But you're directly in the park.

Food is up to the group as you'll be making the nightly decision as to what to make.

Pack your bag and then take a bunch of stuff out. You don't need a clean shirt for everyday of the trip. Just rotate stuff and take advantage of laundry facilities.
twoeightnine
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby thecakeisalie » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Also, regarding keeping the weight down, at that time of year you won't need many warm clothes. SF can be chilly at any time and nights in the mountains or high deserts (Yosemite, Taos, etc.) can get cold, but once you head east into Texas it will be getting hot (and humid, unfortunately). Into July a light jacket will be all that's necessary (mostly for rain).

This trip looks awesome and sees a ridiculous amount of different landscapes, scenery, and cultures. Have fun!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Gabriella - relax, you dont need to stalk anything, this company will take good care of you. And remember this is the States where they do everything the best in the world - its not darkest Africa, so defo not likely to be too rough and ready!
The food will be just fine, but you can always buy snacks along the way too, and as your participation camping take some clothes that you dont mind getting a bit dirty as well as a couple of decent outfits for when you are in town.
You will have a total blast and make many friends in your group I can guarantee it!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby steveg_1990 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm doing this trip in August and like Gabriella am doing it alone. First time I've done an organised trip and trying to focus on what I need to get beforehand and the amazing adventure I'm going to have.

Like Gabriella, I'm a little nervous about the people I'll be with but after doing a fair bit of time in various hostels, I find there's a certain kind of person goes on these kind of trips. They seem to be reasonably laid back, helpful and most of all friendly. There will be plenty of other single travellers and we will all look out for each other. I keep telling myself that today's strangers will be very close friends come the end of my trip!

Good luck Gabriella!
steveg_1990

Postby lbeckett » Thu May 03, 2012 1:43 pm

I did a similar trip to this and confirm that campsites in the usa are rediculously good. The only exceptions would be those in national parks which were a bit variable. Where we staid in yosemitie for example had drop toilets mostly, but with a bit of scouting out you could find some plumbing. They were also more likely to charge for a shower in national parks, usualy 2-3 dollars. Make sure you keep a supply of quarters to hand! (they're also good for laundry) On some of the private campsites we upgraded to cabins which was cool. Spent one night at a bunkhouse which fit the whole group in one room!

In monument valley there is no water/electricity so make sure you shower before you go! There should be a portable toilet though so its not too grim. That was one of the best nights of our trip, so just go with the flow - its an amazing part of the world.

Dont worry about going alone, I went at the grand old age of 21 and was in a great group. Its amazing how quickly you bond over assembling and sharing tents! Out of the 11 people in the group, there were only two pairs of people who had come together so most people are on their own.

As for food, when we cooked ourselves it was normally something simple like chili con carne or pasta. There was always tons of it and it was never too shabby. On nights in/near cities we normally went out. Im a fussy eater and coped pretty well so im guessing most normal people will too!

Don't worry - you will have a great time. There are some absolutely amazing sights on that trip, definitely want to go back to the states at some point soon. Enjoy!
lbeckett

Postby ghaandlykken » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm also going on this trip alone on July 13(Anyone else?). I'm 27 and visiting USA for the first time. I was a little bit skeptic about the group travelling concept at first, but this trip just seemed amazing, so I decided to book it and now I'm filled with nervously excitement! Gabriela,I admire your courage for travelling alone at such a young age. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful experience!
On my behalf; I hope I'm not the only one travelling alone, I hope I'm not the oldest in the group, I hope it will be nothing but a great experience. I'm a bit scared but at the same time I cant wait to get on that plane! Sigh..
ghaandlykken

Postby mika » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi guys, I'm also going on this trip, departure on June 1st, anyone?
Gabriela it's so nice to hear from someone who is doing the same as me, I feel way more relaxed now...
I'm 20 too, and was a bit afraid of taking a trip by myself. Then again, it sounds so amazing I thought I'd take a shot at it! Despite still being nervous, all I've read here makes me even more excited.
By the way, does anyone know if it's too risky to take a cab late at night (around 11 p.m.) in SF? If positive, any suggestions for safe transportation at that time?
mika

Postby ballu » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:37 am

Please use our departure lounge section to find fellow travellers:
viewforum.php?f=69
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby chocolate7 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 am

Like Gabriella, I'm a little nervous about the people I'll be with but after doing a fair bit of time in various hostels, I find there's a certain kind of person goes on these kind of trips. They seem to be reasonably laid back, helpful and most of all friendly. There will be plenty of other single travellers and we will all look out for each other. I keep telling myself that today's strangers will be very close friends come the end of my trip!
Smile PleazZZZzzzZZZzzzz
chocolate7

Return to North America