National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi I am booked on this trip in June and travelling from Australia. Just wondering if anyone knew of any place I could hire a sleeping bag in Calgary and then return to in Vancouver as I'm not overly excited about the prospect of bringing mine all the way from Australia and then trekking round the USA with it afterwards. Thanks!
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad

Postby want_to_travel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:55 pm

sinecure wrote:Bug dope with Deet. Don't bother with the dinner bell er... bear bell..

Enjoy my park :)

Bear bells aren't a bad idea actually IMO other than with a group you will probably make enough noise so they know you are there. Camping growing up was an adventure because my Mom used to be a bear magnet. It didn't seem to matter where we went there would be bears in the campground. Personally I'm a fan of them for trips to the loo at night. I haven't camped in Banff for 15 years or so but last time I was there it wasn't rare to see bear in the campground.

Certainly there are cougar in the Tofino area. I don't know if bear bells work for them or are just dinner bells lol but I always carried them when we hiked on Vancouver Island under the assumption that a healthy cougar would just as soon avoid me as I would it. We lived just north (as the crow flies) of Tofino. A little boy in our community was mauled by a cougar on his way to school with a bunch of other kids one morning. A few years later conservation officers shot a young cougar right in our backyard (we bordered on forest) and another 400 metres away - they had been walking down our street in broad daylight - were both young and underfed. The officer called us out to have a look. The nails on these young cats were several inches long. Not trying to be alarmist at all - just saying.
"Do or do not - there is no try" - Yoda
want_to_travel
User Rank: Traveller

Postby woychukb » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:21 pm

kcupp95 wrote:Just wondering if anyone knew of any place I could hire a sleeping bag in Calgary and then return to in Vancouver

You might want to contact Mountain Equipment Co-op. I know they do equipment rentals and have stores in both Calgary and Vancouver, but I'm not sure about the renting from one location and returning to another. http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary/Se ... entals.jsp
woychukb
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby kcupp95 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Contacted them already and its a no deal on the 'one way' hire. thanks though! looks like its going to be a tieing it to the backpack/sneaking it on as hand luggage job. Does anyone have any tips for getting a sleeping bag through 11 different flights?
kcupp95

Postby twoeightnine » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:25 am

kcupp95 wrote:Contacted them already and its a no deal on the 'one way' hire. thanks though! looks like its going to be a tieing it to the backpack/sneaking it on as hand luggage job. Does anyone have any tips for getting a sleeping bag through 11 different flights?

I posted this on the other post.

There is a chance that your CEO will have an extra one. If not, the easiest thing to do is purchase an inexpensive bag at Walmart or a similar store and "donate" it at the end. It'll be passed on to other passengers or donated to homeless shelters.

In Canada I know you can rent bags from MEC but it's going to cost you $56 per week, minimum. You can pick up a good enough bag (and blankets) for less than that.

Obviously MEC is out but if you'd rather bring your own invest in a Sea to Summit eVent compression sack. http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/1

My man bag is a Marmot Sawtooth Membrane http://marmot.com/products/sawtooth_membrain and with a medium S2S I can compress it down to about the size of an American football/rugby ball. Put that in the bottom of your backpack and pack around it. Don't lash it to the exterior of your pack, the airlines hate that and don't recommend it. If it doesn't make it through handling they'll claim that it was not their responsibility.
twoeightnine

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:28 pm

kcupp95 wrote:Contacted them already and its a no deal on the 'one way' hire. thanks though! looks like its going to be a tieing it to the backpack/sneaking it on as hand luggage job. Does anyone have any tips for getting a sleeping bag through 11 different flights?

I'd also favour the idea of buying a cheaper bag and donating it at the end. However, if you really want to have your own you could lash it to the bottom of your daypack and take is as carry-on. A good compression sack will make it small. We did that for our flights from Canada to and from East Africa. We didn't want to trust it to our checked bag! Also, the suggestion from Twoeightnine to ask the CEO is a good one. All info said there were no sleeping bag rentals in East Africa but our CEO in Tanzania asked right up front who needed a rental and he provided one for the one traveller who was without. They are amazingly resourceful!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Janice08 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I went to my local WalMart (budget department store) in Alberta the other day. They had several sleeping bags in the $30 - $40 price range (plus sales tax of 5% in Alberta and about 13% in B.C.)that are rated to below freezing. They also had fleece liners for $15 if you have a poorer quality bag that isn't quite warm enough. These aren't bags you are likely to want to take with you on the rest of your travels, or take backpacking, as they don't compress that well but they would probably be adequate for the trip and as others have said, you can always donate it to a homeless shelter or other charity at the end.
Janice08

Postby collywobbles » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:42 pm

hiya

Just a question for you guys that know the parks of Canada What is the difference between provincial parks and national parks sorry for asking silly question just curious :? :? :?

cheers guys :)
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby twoeightnine » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:37 pm

collywobbles wrote:hiya

Just a question for you guys that know the parks of Canada What is the difference between provincial parks and national parks sorry for asking silly question just curious :? :? :?

cheers guys :)

Provincial parks are like state parks in the United States since they have provinces instead of states. Administration is by the provinces instead of Parks Canada.
twoeightnine

Postby Janice08 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:00 pm

If you want to read the official government propaganda for the different types of parks go to:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/index.aspx (for the National Parks)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/index.html (For provincial parks in B.C.)
http://www.albertaparks.ca/ (for provincial parks in Alberta)

The Provincial Parks for the most part are smaller and have less services than the National Parks. Many of the smaller Provincial Parks don't have electricity or running water (you need to use a hand pump and outhouse). They are however a lot less crowded as people these days seem to want to bring all the amenities from home and call it "camping".

The National Parks often have towns located inside them where all the services available in any small town are available (including McDonalds in Banff for those who need their Big Mac fix!). The campgrounds have a mix of sites from basic to luxury with full hookups for campers and motor homes. They also tend to have a lot more organized activities, both government run and private, and Park Naturalists run interpretive programs.
Janice08

Postby collywobbles » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm

hey guys

Thanks for info on the parks really helpful :D

cheers
collywobbles

Postby labrat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Don't worry about the bear bells, no one wears them except the tourists :) Your guide will likely have bear spray or else you can pick some up in Calgary. It can be cold in the evenings, even in the summer. I routinely sleep with wool socks and a toque when camping (although I'm generally cold all the time) and have been camping in Jasper in late August with temperatures definitely below 0. Not all camp sites have electricity but I've seen folks charging phones etc. in the washrooms if you're at a site with facilities.

Itinerary for this trip looks lovely, the area is beautiful and there will be many opportunities for wonderful photos. If you have the chance to go whitewater rafting on the Kicking Horse, it is well worth it. Enjoy!
labrat
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby collywobbles » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm

hi labrat

Thanks for the info . only a couple of months now to the trip cant wait it looks like a brill place to take photos and yeah somebody else told me about the white water rafting . was going to try it at victoria falls in zambia and it looked absolutley scarey white knuckle stuff according to some of the group that did it . haha will check it out though and yeah i believe it gets very cold at night around the time that we will be there.

thanks again :)
collywobbles

Postby davidhunt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 am

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:
twoeightnine wrote:As a fellow hammock user please be aware that in some campgrounds it is against the rules to hang anything from the trees.

That's what I was concerned about -- well, that and the -6C temp in Banff! The Hennessy Hammock is a really nice design with built in mosquito/critter netting and rainfly but it IS a bit airy for my tastes when there's snow on the ground ;)

The question about electricity was more to see if I should think about bringing my like I did in Africa. It was more for me to recharge my Palm (for reading ebooks) and AAA batteries for my GPS logger but some of my fellow travelers were very appreciative of my being able to recharge their iPods ;) As an old Scout, I'm just not used to thinking about campgrounds with electricity or hot water in them

Bringing in solar panels is right way to go.. Even I am using solar panel and I have got plenty of heated water everyday:)
davidhunt

Previous

Return to North America