National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

Postby collywobbles » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 am

:D hi to all ye Canadians who are out there

I am doing one of g trip in August the national parks of the Canadian Rockies westbound. This is a new trip by G this year . I am just wondering if people who are from this general aera may have info on this aera I start in Calgary and finish up in Vancouver. I understand the scenery is awesome and well worth visiting for a person like me who loves taking photos Any one who has any hints. info .advice on what to expect in the national parks it is participation camping which i have done before in Africa I am just looking for info anything like that on weather mossies bears haha glaciers These trips dont run the whole summer only 1 in june 1 the end ofjuly/august and the last on in Sept .

Thanks guys for any help info ye might have
cheers :) ps sinecure HAVE THE KETTLE ON IN CASE I DROP BY FOR A CUPPA :lol:
Last edited by collywobbles on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: National Parks of the Canadian Rockies Westbound

Postby sinecure » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm

Bug dope with Deet. Don't bother with the dinner bell er... bear bell..

Enjoy my park :)
sinecure

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:58 pm

That trip looks awesome and gets you to some of the best scenery in Canada. Bring lots of memory for your camera! The water colour in the lakes in the Rockies has to be seen to be believed!
My suggestions from the places you'll see:
Old Country Market in Coombs - get the sweet potato fries and watch out for the live goats on the roof!
Tofino - try a surf lesson if you have time
Pacific Rim Park is close to Tofino and along the Rainforest Trail there is a huge old tree where you can climb up inside for a picture. Worth a visit if you have time. If not, Cathedral Grove at MacMillan Park is just as spectacular.
Victoria - try and visit the Fisherman's Wharf. On a day when the water is still you'll get the most amazing reflections in the water. Also, keep an eye out for Darth Fiddler! He dresses like Darth Vadar and plays his fiddle near the tourist office across from the Empress in downtown.
If you are planning to arrive a day or two early in Calgary it's worth a drive over to Dinosaur Provincial Park to hike around the hoodoos. Incredible landscape!
Enjoy the wildlife tours, grizzlies, whales, so awesome! The zodiacs are a crazy ride, a bit like the African massage you must have experienced when you were in Africa! Who knew water could be that hard? :wink:
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby collywobbles » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:51 am

:D hey guys thanks for the replies to my queries Fab .
and yes inca trail 50 i am arriving a day early so i will check out the dinosaur park sounds good we are going over to victoria so yeah hoping the zodiac trips will be good and yes thank for advice plenty memory card photo everything thats in front of me haha and sincure thanks for that about the deet would i be better off buying the deet over there than here at home just that we dont really have all that much use for it here and the brands ye sell may be alot stronger than what we have here ? many thanks

cheers :)
collywobbles

Postby want_to_travel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:33 pm

So glad you are making it to Vancouver Island - it's my favourite place in Canada (of course I'm biased because I used to live there). If you make north of Victoria there are lovely building murals in Chemanius, if you get to Nanaimo make sure you go to the docks and buy prawns right off the fish boat. Best. prawns. ever. I actually always wore bear bells hiking in Banff and on Vancouver Island (possibly because growing up my mom was a bear magnet). If you are with a group you'll probably make enough noise without though. There are some absolutely stunning hikes in Strathcona park (which is about mid island and the oldest provincial park in B.C. ). Not sure if you'll be there but that was my old stomping grounds. I agree that Cathedral Grove, Coombs, and Tofino are well worth the trip. I love anywhere there is ocean so I adore Victoria Harbour with all the buskers in the summer. Very touristy but fun. It's been a long time since I've spent time in Banff or Jasper but they are stunning. You'll have a great time I'm sure.
"Do or do not - there is no try" - Yoda
want_to_travel
User Rank: Traveller

Postby sinecure » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Glad to hear you all love my city 8)

Bug dope here or there won't be too different. Anything you purchase in the national parks will cost more than in a normal city.

When in Vancouver, make sure you get to Japadog & T&T Supermarkets.
sinecure

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I hope you come back and post a review of the trip. I'm seriously thinking of doing this trip in 2013. Time to see my own country and this trip looks fantastic!
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:21 pm

I was curious about the average night time temperature during Jun-Sep and campsite setups for this tour. I realize G provides the tents and probably air mattresses for this run but I'm rather fond of my Hennessy Hammock (which would save my potential tentmate's ears somewhat). I'd likely bring a sleeping back good to 20F (about -6 C) if I took this trip.

I was rather surprised at the near-ubiquitous availability of power on my African overland as that's not how I usually go camping -- would that be the norm on these runs too?
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:57 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:I was curious about the average night time temperature during Jun-Sep and campsite setups for this tour. I realize G provides the tents and probably air mattresses for this run but I'm rather fond of my Hennessy Hammock (which would save my potential tentmate's ears somewhat). I'd likely bring a sleeping back good to 20F (about -6 C) if I took this trip.

Banff/Lake Louise/Calgary there's a chance of snow pretty much year round but I don't think it's really very likely to get much below -6'C at night. The real problem might be critters on you if you sleep open air/in a hammock! :lol: My daughter has had a raccoon jump on her and mice run across her while camping here in Ontario. There are much bigger animals on Vancouver Island so when she moved there she finally bought a tent and only sleeps in her hammock in the afternoons, after a big lunch of freshly-caught fish. :wink:
Not sure about the availability of power, hopefully someone else can help with that.
Enjoy, it's all beautiful scenery!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby twoeightnine » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:50 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote: I was rather surprised at the near-ubiquitous availability of power on my African overland as that's not how I usually go camping -- would that be the norm on these runs too?

Depends on the campgrounds. In the National Parks or State Parks, most likely not. Commercial campgrounds tend to have electricity in most sites except for group sites and some tent sites which we are often placed in.

As a fellow hammock user please be aware that in some campgrounds it is against the rules to hang anything from the trees.
twoeightnine

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:30 pm

twoeightnine wrote:As a fellow hammock user please be aware that in some campgrounds it is against the rules to hang anything from the trees.

That's what I was concerned about -- well, that and the -6C temp in Banff! The Hennessy Hammock is a really nice design with built in mosquito/critter netting and rainfly but it IS a bit airy for my tastes when there's snow on the ground ;)

The question about electricity was more to see if I should think about bringing my solar panels like I did in Africa. It was more for me to recharge my Palm (for reading ebooks) and AAA batteries for my GPS logger but some of my fellow travelers were very appreciative of my being able to recharge their iPods ;) As an old Scout, I'm just not used to thinking about campgrounds with electricity or hot water in them ...
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby collywobbles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm

hey guys :D

Thanks so much for all your answers to my questions and advice I cant wait to hike the trails in the national park are ye serious about bear bell or are ye pulling my leg ? :o Sorry dont know much about bears dont have much dealings of them in my country hahah . yep we are going to torfino and victoria according to the trip details so yes when i get back i will post trip details hopefully all will go well and goes according to plan :lol: no doubt i will have more questions to ask

thanks again
cheers :)
collywobbles

Postby twoeightnine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:
twoeightnine wrote:As a fellow hammock user please be aware that in some campgrounds it is against the rules to hang anything from the trees.

That's what I was concerned about -- well, that and the -6C temp in Banff! The Hennessy Hammock is a really nice design with built in mosquito/critter netting and rainfly but it IS a bit airy for my tastes when there's snow on the ground ;)

The question about electricity was more to see if I should think about bringing my solar panels like I did in Africa. It was more for me to recharge my Palm (for reading ebooks) and AAA batteries for my GPS logger but some of my fellow travelers were very appreciative of my being able to recharge their iPods ;) As an old Scout, I'm just not used to thinking about campgrounds with electricity or hot water in them ...

Your CEO will most likely be willing to let you charge things in the van as we drive. I personally carry a handful of USB chargers and a couple of converters. It's also not unusual for people to sit around an outlet chatting or in the bathroom chatting while they charge everything.
twoeightnine

Postby woychukb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Between June and September it's very unlikely there will be snow falling. Nights in the mountains will get cool but should stay above freezing. Some years the snow will last on the ground until July on some trails, but the campgrounds should be dry (plus or minus any rain). This year the winter has been very warm so far so unless we get a few big storms it should be clear early.

If you're going to be in Calgary early you might want to check if any of the supplies you need are cheaper to buy here. Mountain Equipment Co-op is the big outdoor gear store and their website should be able to provide selection/prices on their gear.

It doesn't look like any of the tours are in Calgary for the Stampede week which is usually the start of July. That might or might not be a good thing. It's a good party but doesn't really reflect what the city is normally like. Kind of like going to Munich during Oktoberfest and thinking the city is always that way.

Personally I've always found the town of Banff to be pretty touristy and not that impressive. The Lake Louise area is wonderful. My personal favourites for spectacular scenery that you should hit would be Moraine Lake (near Lake Louise) and Peyto Lake.

Moraine Lake by woychukb, on Flickr

Peyto Lake by woychukb, on Flickr
woychukb
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby collywobbles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:45 pm

hi woychukb

Fab photos love them hope mine will turn out as good as yours
:D thanks for the info as well
collywobbles