participating camping

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

participating camping

Postby fdemmer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:34 am

i've read about "participating camping" on africa trips... how does that work in north america?

same thing: get tent on first day, build/take down by yourself, help prepare food, give back in the end?

the "my own room" option also gets my my own tent, i hope?

also i miss details on hotel/camping nights in the itineraries... what nights exactly are hotel? eg for http://www.gadventures.com/trips/best-o ... itinerary/
fdemmer
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: participating camping

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:00 pm

If you click the link "Before You Go"near the top of the screen on the link you provided, you will see another link for Trip Details. The trip details should give you indepth info.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby fdemmer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm

unfortunately not: "The full details for this trip are currently being updated. Please check back later to view your details."

...and this message has been there for a while now. can i get more info about camping before december 31st, when the 15% offer runs out?
fdemmer

Postby collywobbles » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:58 pm

hi fdemmer :?
I was looking at the trip to Canada. Calgary to Vancouver trekking the Rockies and like you posted its also participation camping I have been trying to get more info on the trip like you and it keeps telling me the site is been updated It has been up for quiet sometime. I have done participation camping in africa it was set up tents food prep clearing up and loading up the truck not too sure if this is the case in canada may maybe somebody out there might be able to shed some light on these trips thanks a lot :)
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby twoeightnine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 am

fdemmer wrote:i've read about "participating camping" on africa trips... how does that work in north america?

same thing: get tent on first day, build/take down by yourself, help prepare food, give back in the end?

the "my own room" option also gets my my own tent, i hope?

also i miss details on hotel/camping nights in the itineraries... what nights exactly are hotel? eg for http://www.gadventures.com/trips/best-o ... itinerary/

Hello! I've been leading these trips for the past couple of years and have now joined the G-team as they move into North America. You've hit the nail almost exactly on the head with that description. We travel via 15 passenger vans with a trailer on the back that holds your luggage and all of the camping gear. You're "given" a tent the first night of camping that is your responsibility. Each CEO does this differently but I name my tents so if your tent is say "Yosemite" you'll be sleeping in "Yosemite" every night. The tents are incredibly nice and rather easy to put up even if you've never done it. You might struggle at first but after a couple of days you'll be putting them up in under 10 minutes. (I like to have a race near the end of the trip to see who is the best.) We show you how to do it the first day and will always be there to help. Same thing with the tear down in the morning.

Food preparation depends on the group but it is participatory, as are dishes (ha!) You may get a CEO who loves to cook and does so most nights but part of the fun of the trip is everyone being involved. Please note that unlike trips in some other areas your CEO is your full-time driver and guide (city, hiking, biking, almost everything) so any and all help and participation is greatly appreciated.

Your own room will get you your own tent. I will say it's always nice to have a tentmate for setting up and taking down and even late night talks. Plus if you're camping in a cold area the extra body heat in a tent is amazing.

As for hotel rooms on that trip, it's a slightly different trip from the ones that we have run in the past but I'll give it my best shot.

Your two nights in Las Vegas would be hotels. The night in San Francisco would be a hotel. Phoenix should be a hotel. Your final night in Los Angeles would be a hotel. For the most part any day without a D (dinner) beside it will be hotel.

Hope that helps!
twoeightnine
User Rank: Traveller

Postby collywobbles » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:56 am

hi twoeightnine

Im doing national parks of the canadian rockies westbound.
Thats great about the type of transport we will be using in Canada I know the tents are easy to put up and down as i have done this in africa we had a great cook in africa so our food was fab as you said our ceo is master of all trades and may not like cooking all that much but we shall wait and see. dont think there are any mc donalds in banff park :lol:

:D
collywobbles

Postby sinecure » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:44 pm

You might be surprised where you find the clown :lol:
sinecure

Postby twoeightnine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm

collywobbles wrote:hi twoeightnine

Im doing national parks of the canadian rockies westbound.
Thats great about the type of transport we will be using in Canada I know the tents are easy to put up and down as i have done this in africa we had a great cook in africa so our food was fab as you said our ceo is master of all trades and may not like cooking all that much but we shall wait and see. dont think there are any mc donalds in banff park :lol:

:D

On that trip you'll only have hotels in Calgary and Vancouver, everything in between is camping. Some of it inside the parks, some just outside depending on availability.
twoeightnine

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:10 pm

twoeightnine wrote:
On that trip you'll only have hotels in Calgary and Vancouver, everything in between is camping. Some of it inside the parks, some just outside depending on availability.

That sounds great. I may have to consider that trip ... oh and for the record, I love to cook, especially over a campfire -- and as a Scouter for over 25 years I have a wee bit of experience doing so ;)
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby collywobbles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:07 pm

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:
twoeightnine wrote:

That sounds great. I may have to consider that trip ... oh and for the record, I love to cook, especially over a campfire -- and as a Scouter for over 25 years I have a wee bit of experience doing so ;)

Great cant wait. Whats for dinner ? bear steaks :lol:
collywobbles

Postby collywobbles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:04 pm

hi twoeightnine :(

Just a question for you The vans that are used for the trips in canada north america trips do they have safe in them to hold passports money etc like the overland trucks in Africa?

thanks for any answer you might have :D
collywobbles

Postby twoeightnine » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:19 am

collywobbles wrote:hi twoeightnine :(

Just a question for you The vans that are used for the trips in canada north america trips do they have safe in them to hold passports money etc like the overland trucks in Africa?

thanks for any answer you might have :D

No, they're your standard 15 passenger vans. For the most part we ask that you don't leave anything in the van as you need to be responsible for most of your personal belongings and we need to keep the vans clean. Every CEO's van is essentially their home for the season.
twoeightnine

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi I am booked on this trip in June and travelling from Australia. Just wondering if anyone knew of any place I could hire a sleeping bag in Calgary and then return to in Vancouver as I'm not overly excited about the prospect of bringing mine all the way from Australia and then trekking round the USA with it afterwards. Thanks!
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby twoeightnine » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:21 pm

kcupp95 wrote:Hi I am booked on this trip in June and travelling from Australia. Just wondering if anyone knew of any place I could hire a sleeping bag in Calgary and then return to in Vancouver as I'm not overly excited about the prospect of bringing mine all the way from Australia and then trekking round the USA with it afterwards. Thanks!

There is a chance that your CEO will have an extra one. If not, the easiest thing to do is purchase an inexpensive bag at Walmart or a similar store and "donate" it at the end. It'll be passed on to other passengers or donated to homeless shelters.

In Canada I know you can rent bags from MEC but it's going to cost you $56 per week, minimum. You can pick up a good enough bag (and blankets) for less than that.
twoeightnine

Return to North America