US New Year Trip Help

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

US New Year Trip Help

Postby ngocvht » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:40 am

I and My wife will go to US for New Year. Can you recommend 2 weeks itinerary. We are interested in Night life and Nature. Thanks
ngocvht
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: US New Year Trip Help

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow ... well, it's a little late to be planning this now but some things to think about:

If you're going to be in the US for the New Year, you may as well try to be in NYC by New Year's Eve so you can be at Times Square for the ball drop. Lots of nightlife in NYC and you could easily spend a week or two in that city alone. I'd see if you can try 3 or 4 days so you can try to get tickets to a Broadway production and sample some nightclubs.

Since you want a little nature, you can head down to Washington DC next and take a side trip through the Shenandoah Valley while enjoying the DC nightlife. It's an easy Amtrak ride from NYC to DC and you can grab the Metro to whatever hotel you pick downtown. Figure a couple days there since you're not doing museums then you can grab a flight to Denver.

Denver gives you excellent access to the entire state of Colorado as well as its own nightlife. I prefer flying into and out of Colorado Springs but C Springs just doesn't have much of a nightlife. Rent a car and you can drive out toward the ski resorts in Summit County -- get at least one day of skiing in or just grab a gondola up to the top to take in the pictures from on high. From there you have all kinds of options in enjoying nature: the pristine quiet of national forests, babbling brooks in Park or Teller Counties (just south of Summit), a wolf preserve between Lake George and Woodland Park in Teller County and a bird sanctuary east of Colorado Springs (specializing in raptors).

I figure 4 days in Colorado -- and that's rushing things a bit -- then you can drive or fly to enjoy a day or two at Yellowstone National Park. After that, head to Seattle for a couple days and finish up with 3 or 4 days in California. In California I'd recommend starting in San Francisco and driving down the Pacific Coast Highway to Los Angeles. Definitely stop to smell the roses -- or wineries as the case may be -- and enjoy the sea lions and scenery along the coast. Finish up with nightlife and glitz in LA before flying home.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: US New Year Trip Help

Postby dorinda » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:06 am

New York City Times Square at 42nd street and Times Square is the place to be for Midnight when the ball drops. Also you will be surrounded with all kinds of great nightlife. You won't regret it. I grew up here. As far as nature it depends on how far you want to travel.West,east,north or south. Have fun and Happy Holidays.
dorinda

Return to North America