Night in Los Angeles

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Night in Los Angeles

Postby kristasis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi everyone, I am going on the Central America and Mexico Southbound trip in December and will be spending a night in Los Angeles on the way home in the beginning of February. My flight arrives from Costa Rica to Los Angeles at 10:00PM and leaves for Sydney the next night at 10:40PM. My travel agent has suggested I get transfers to and from a hotel in Downtown LA, and I have been looking at hotels around the airport also. What would be my better option? I'm not too worried about budget, as I don't mind saving some extra to stay somewhere a little more expensive. Where would I be better off though on my own? I'm a female solo traveller. Any advice on what a good easy option would be? If I stayed around the airport would there still be some things to see during the next day? Thanks! Krista :)
kristasis
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Night in Los Angeles

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:22 pm

There is nothing to do near the airport that I can think of and it´s not a great area. If I had a day to spend and money was not a huge obstacle I´d look at staying in Santa Monica or Venice Beach. You could spend the day walking or biking or roller blading along the beach front (less interesting in February than in the summer) and visit the famous Santa Monica pier. Santa Monica also has lots of galleries and shopping. You also might want to check out the calendar of exhibits at various LA museums to see if there is something you´d like to see. The LA Museum of Art is huge and always has interesting exhibits and the J. Paul Getty museum on a hill overlooking Los Angeles is also worth a visit.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:06 am

Try to get a room at the Hotel Portofino or another establishment near Hermosa or Redondo Beach. Good restaurants in walking distance and decent beachfront. You can walk the pier and beach safely there. As Judy says, nothing of interest near the airport -- I don't even like spending the night there.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby aussiedave88 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 pm

If only one day in LA definitely check out Venice Beach during the day and head to Santa Monica in the evening. We had a similar stopover and stayed very close to the airport - then just caught a taxi down to the beach in the morning and back to the airport hotel in the evening - was very easy to do and not that expensive.
aussiedave88
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to North America