Mardi Gras in New Orleans

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Postby Louie_travels » Sat May 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi there.... I'm going to partake in the wonderful festivities of Mardi Gras next year. So I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips or tricks for where to stay and what to do! I understand that "Mardi Gras = Fat Tuesday" falls on Tues March 8th for 2011. And that the festivities are the previous 2 weeks. And I know there is parade after parade after parade. But what else? And where is a good / SAFE / "close to the action" location to stay in. (Hopefully those 3 requirements can all exist together). Is there any areas that 3 girls would not feel safe in and should avoid?

Any advice you can give will be muchly appreciated!

Thanks!
L
Louie_travels
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Postby edg126 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:41 pm

I stayed at the St. James Hotel that was a short walk into the french quarter and was satisfied with it. They had good muffins and coffee for free for breakfast which was great to save a few bucks. I was there right after Mardi Gras, but found that with 4 days you quickly run out of things to do.

Heaps of good restaurant choices in the french quarter, but they are all very small establishments and will be crazy crowded. Consider taking the trolley out of the quarter for food, it's also great to explore -- lot's of nice houses along the line.

I'm an American, but it's completely different being in New Orleans, you can drink everywhere and get to-go cups at bars --wierd. Everybody was friendly and I always felt safe. Have fun!
edg126
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to North America