National Parks & Bright Lights NUNP

From hiking the remote canyons of Navajo country to the spectacular mountains of the Rockies, from Orca-spotting off Vancouver to the gold-rush towns of the Yukon, experience North America - a true wilderness paradise.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

National Parks & Bright Lights NUNP

Postby minieggs » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:13 am

Hi

I'm thinking of possibly doing this trip in December and am looking for some weather/climate advise

A lot of the trip seems to be weather dependent. I don't mind a bit of rain or cold and wonder what would be the reason for the itinerary to change. Significant snow etc ?

I appreciate the Tioga Pass will be closed but just wonder how much of a 'risk' this trip is in winter in terms of not being able to get out and about much hence the current 20% off

Anyone on here done this trip in Dec/Jan ?

Thanks
minieggs
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: National Parks & Bright Lights NUNP

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Looking at the route:

It looks to me like they chose the winter route to minimize the chances of a road closure but that's always a possibility. I would expect the risk of not being able to get out and about much is pretty minimal with the itinerary they show but ... well, it's weather ...
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: National Parks & Bright Lights NUNP

Postby minieggs » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks

Does anyone have any idea how long the walks are on this trip ? 1-2 miles from the van or fuller 8-10 mile days walks bearing in mind its winter. Just from a clothing point of view
minieggs

Return to North America