Croatia (Balkan Discovery ECBD)

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Croatia (Balkan Discovery ECBD)

Postby Endless Journey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:46 am

I have just booked myself for the Balkan Discovery (ecbd tour) in August. I get the feeling that it would have been much better if the tour started and ended in Zagreb instead of Split. I am not seeing too many frequent & economical options of getting into Split, especially from Eastern Europe. But I am sure there must be a planning rationale behind it.

Anyone familiar with the area have any suggestions.

Also, the website suggests adding tour eabe - best of Eastern Europe. However, there are no back-to-back G tours.
Endless Journey
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Croatia (Balkan Discovery ECBD)

Postby hogson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:25 am

Hi Endless Journey, where are you trying to get to Split from exactly? That could help us with how to find you the best transport options. For example, EasyJet has regular flights to Split from London and a few other destinations - I had a quick look at their website and the cheapest from Gatwick in August is about £42.

From Eastern Europe you might try Sky Europe (depending, of course, on where you're coming from). They fly to Split from Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and Krakow.

If getting to Zagreb is easier, then you can always get the train or the bus to Split from there. There are also buses from Dubrovnik, Zadar and Sibenik..
hogson
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Croatia (Balkan Discovery ECBD)

Postby Endless Journey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:52 am

Thank you Hogson.

At first I was looking for a flight from Istanbul, now Bucharest. Even getting to Zagreb seems expensive via Vienna etc.

Sky Europe, with an overnight somewhere, might work.
Endless Journey

Re: Croatia ( WesternBalkan Adventure)

Postby rail78road » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Just returned from the Western Balkans Adventure. Very interesting countries, great tour guide, friendly people, good food and exciting sites. Go to the Balkans but not with GAventures. Their tour is poorly planned and not comfortable. We flew into Zagreb, stayed one night then drove 7 hours by van to Split. We thought this was arrange so we could visit the world famous National park South of Zagreb. No, we drove right by it without stopping. This tour is labeled "comfort". The hotels selected by G were in general unacceptable and uncomfortable. It's not that they don't exist; it's that G didn't use the better hotels. We paid extra to be moved out of a subterranean room with a pungent smell of mold. We stayed at one hotel that didn't have matrasses .... only box springs and they served ice cold friend eggs for breakfast. The last night we didn't return to the G hotel but spent a great night in the near by Hilton. Go to the Balkans but not on this G tour!
rail78road

Return to Europe