HELP!! Ferry schedule question

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

HELP!! Ferry schedule question

Postby elliseleanani » Mon May 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi,

I'm on the sailing trip Mykonos to Santorini. Then staying in Santorini 2 nights. Then staying in Crete 2 nights. Then back to Athens 1 night, then home.

I have already booked my hotel in Santorini and Crete. I have also already bought airline tickets from Crete to Athens.

I have been waiting for the ferry schedule to come up so I can book a ferry from Santorini to crete on July 8th. Two schedules came up, both leaving Santorini late in the day. I wanted to leave early so I kept waiting for additional times to post.

Well I just checked again and NOW it seems both ferry's from Santorin to Crete are booked full. CAN THAT BE RIGHT????

What should I do???

Will there be more times???

Can I get to Crete a different way??? (Airline tickets are toooo expensive for me)

Help!!! Should I think about eating the airline tickets I already have from crete to athens?? Just stay in Santorini??? Look for a ferry or flight back to Athens??

It looks like Vinnie is an expert on Greece. Vinnie are you there???
Kellie Cereola
elliseleanani
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: HELP!! Ferry schedule question

Postby vinnie » Tue May 27, 2008 3:42 pm

The exact schedule for ferries comes out about a month before departure. The schedules also change every month. The one currently on-line may be correct for July. If it is not yet available then it will be available shortly.

I would expect that there will be only 4 or 5 days a week with service from Santorini to Crete with only a limited number of departure times on those days. July is 'high' season in the Greek islands and lots of people wish to travel at that time of year. However, all of the boats should not be fully booked this far in advance. I would try to contact the ferry lines directly (via e-mail) for availability on the dates desired.

Your other options appear to me to be: 1) fly (which is more expensive) or 2) take the ferry from Santorini to Piraeus and try to make a connection there for a ferry to Crete.
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Europe