Paris to Versailles

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Paris to Versailles

Postby Koy Sauce » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey All,

I'll be spending 8 days in Paris next month and was debating going out to Versailles for a day or so. Any advice on the best way to get out there and should I stay for in Versailles for more than one day?

Thanks!
Khoi, like the fish
Koy Sauce
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby vinnie » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:32 pm

There are two ways to get to Versailles (I assume that it is the palace you wish to visit). First there is the train. Take RER line C in the direction Versailles Rive Gauch and get off at the Versailles Rive Gauch station (not the other stations in Versailles). Travel time is about 40 minutes from central Paris. It is about a five minute walk from the station the the palace (turn right, or north, out of the station to the first major street, the Avenue Paris Versailles, and then turn left, or west, right into the palace.

You can also take bus route 171 from the Pont de Sèvres station (at the end of metro line 9) to Versailles. By bus its about 25 minutes.
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Koy Sauce » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:52 am

vinnie, thank you for the feedback! Directions like these are just what I needed! The guide books are never as detailed with their directions!
Khoi, like the fish
Koy Sauce

Postby Itchy_Feet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Vinnie's directions are spot on - the RER C leaves from right in front of the Musee d'Orsay so you can't miss it. Versailles is an impressive palace but not worth more than a day. If you're looking to get out of Paris and spend an evening in a more authentic village experience consider somewhere like Giverny or Auvers-sur Oise. Versailles doesn't have much more than the castle. Enjoy - Paris is fantastique!
Itchy_Feet
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Europe