Greek Islands sailing - honeymoon?

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Greek Islands sailing - honeymoon?

Postby Talyn_Hysteriod » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:55 pm

My fiancé and I are scouting honeymoon destinations and are considering the 8-day sail from Santorini to Mykonos before or after a week of independent sighseeing in the Athens area. The idea is really exciting, but I'm a little worried about how suitable this trip is for a honeymoon. We want something different, something that will stay with us for the rest of our lives, but we want to be able to sit back and relax too. How intense is this trip compared to GAP's Original style tours? We did the Costa Rica Quest in December 2007 (we actually got engaged in front of an erupting Arenal Volcano!!!) and the level of alone time was fine, but it was a REALLY active trip, and we're looking for something a little more relaxing this time around. I'm also a little worried about the prospect of spending 8 days in bunk beds! Any advice?
Talyn_Hysteriod
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby vinnie » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:48 pm

I can say that you will not be the first couple taking a sailing trip as part of their honeymoon. Second, this is a GAP original style tour but it is not overly active. There will be lots of time to lay back and watch the waves and work on your tan. There will be some activity as you work the boat (lower the anchor, raise the sail, etc.) but it will not be excessive. In addition you will be active on shore as you tour the islands. However, this is mainly walking tours, going to a beach for a swim, shopping, or taking short trips on a local bus.

Now as to the beds, there are normally four cabins on the boats. Two cabins have bunk beds and are normally assigned to singles. The other two cabins have a single large bed and are normally assigned to couples or singles traveling together (like two sisters). Your captain will assign cabins on the first day of the trip. With the large number of singles on most GAP trips I would not think it would be a problem I would worry about very much.

Finally I should point out that the segment from Santorini to Mykonos normally includes a stop at Ios one of the BIG party spots in the area. In addition Mykonos is well known as a party island. On my stop at Ios half of the boat, including my roommate, were disco hopping until 5AM.
vinnie
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Europe