turkey for backpacking?

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

turkey for backpacking?

Postby blobert_coltrane » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:48 pm

hey i'm just wondering if anyone has been to turkey and if it's easy to avoid the crowds. i've heard the east is really beautiful but is it easily accessible? also where would you suggest to go after?? cheers
blobert_coltrane
User Rank: Weekender

Postby lyoness83 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:58 am

Hey,

You posted this a while ago, just wondering if you've decided what your doing, or if you've already gone.

I may be in Turkey for a few days, and would love to hear what you found out ... if anything.

Cheers,
lyoness83

Postby jimshu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:49 am

Turkey is wonderful.Although I'm not so sure about backpacking there.But in general it would be as safe and as easy to get around as any other.
Istanbul with it's layers of history and cultures, will keep you occupied for a week or two.Then take the ferry up through the Bosphorus, and get off at the second to last stop, Sariyer,( famous for seafood restaurants.), which means you will still be on the European side, then catch public buses down back to Istanbul stopping off at any interesting towns on the way.Do this during the week.Weekends see massive traffic jams as every family from Istanbul wants to go for this beautiful drive.
Then head off down to Galipoli, visit the War sites then catch the ferry at Cannakale.Once back on the Asian side,head off to Ephesus.And there are fantastic beach, sailing spots along the Meditteranean Coast.
You'll want to pick up Cappadoccia.I'd love to go back there, and explore that area for a week or two.
I guess then after seeing Eastern Turkey you can either head notheast to Armenia,the Caucasus states etc.Or head down to Lebanon/Syria/Jordan
Either way, fascinating and full of history.
Keep us posted.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby lyoness83 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:53 am

I'll be traveling in Japan and Egypt/Jordan on tours and I wanted to see Turkey in between. But being very specific dates I'm finding it difficult to find a tour, so I probably end up doing it on my own.

I definitely want to get to cappidoccia, and what australian could go to turkey and not pay respects to the brave men, and women of the First World War.

Thanks for your ideas, I'll definitely be taking your suggestions on board.
lyoness83

Postby jimshu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:19 pm

If you want to pay a little more for a really neat hotel, try the Legend hotel.Right in the heart of the old city, Sultanahkmet, and soooo close to the Blue Mosque, the Covered Bazaar, and a few minutes to the trolley line which will take you all over Istanbul.
The Legend is a restored old Ottoman era house with fantastic views from the rooftop breakfast area over the city and Sea of Marmara.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:53 am

By the way, check this tour out.$NZ1395 for 15 days, not too bad when you consider it's lodgings, transport etc.
http://www.gapadventures.com/tour/ETAT
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Return to Europe