Iceland ...

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Iceland ...

Postby Myosotis » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi everybody !
I have my honeymoon planned for the next summer, in July-August, and we are supposed to go to Iceland and Groenland. However, Iceland is VERY expensive and I would need your help, if you've ever been there, to find nices places at the lowest cost possible. Of course, I know it's generally expensive, but if you had a great experience in a hostel, a restaurant, at good price, as well as for a car rental and so on, PLEASE, tell me your secrets !!! :) About Groenland, I plan to go with Air Iceland. But, we are expecting at least a two weeks tour of Iceland.
Myosotis
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby mattk » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Hey There,

I went to Iceland and Greenland on the M/S Explorer two years ago. Iceland was a really nice place, but yes, very expensive. I didn't spend so much time there but after being there, found a few useful bits of advice to save money.

Transportation to/from airport. Don't even think of taking a taxi, there is a shuttle that goes to a number of different hotels for around 7 bucks, it's the only way to go. I checked with a taxi, and it was closer to 100 usd airport to hotel.

Food. There are a number of places where you can grab a coffee and snack or a slice of pizza. A number of restaurants offered unlimited soup and bread for lunch at a set price, this was a great option, as you could fill up on as much as you wanted and were pretty good for the rest of the day. The other option is going to a grocery store.

I didn't spend any time in hotels, so I don't have much advice to give on accommodation, any hostel would be your best option.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Matt
mattk
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby blobert_coltrane » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm

I was volunteering in Iceland in last summer, and the best tip to save money- stay off the alcohol. apart from that i found it wasn't as expensive as i was expecting, you just have to be careful. car renting is actually cheap enough and if you shop at the right places (bonus is always good for cheap food) it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way it's amazing!!! think a cross between new zealand and the moon!!!
blobert_coltrane
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby eyrun » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:55 am

Hello,

I am from Iceland - Nice to hear about your trip. You might want to check out the accomodations offered by local farmers all around the country. Check http://www.travelnet.is for information.
The cheapest accomodation is probably camp sites, there are many nice and scenic camp sites around. (Just bear in mind that the first weekend in August is the main travelling weekend for us locals, so don't be taken back by some hard-core partying in certain camp sites on that particular weekend.)

You should be able to see a lot in two weeks - You could drive a full circle around the island and see the major landmarks. The Icelandic way to travel is not to plan to much ahead but pay close attention to the weather forecast and just go to wherever the sun is shining.

If you are into hiking at all I recommend taking a few days for a hiking tour (Although I must admit it is expensive). For example, the Laugavegur route from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork is a classic.

Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon!
Eyrun
eyrun
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Sheltie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:30 pm

If your going for two weeks you can get a £200 ticket for a hop on hop off bus that covers the ring road. You can get on and off the bus where ever you want so long as you continue in one directions.

As for saving money, the hostel in Rekjavik is very nice and you will meet a lot of friendly people there!
Sheltie

Return to Europe