Touring Europe

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Touring Europe

Postby snoz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:16 pm

I have two sons currently at college and would love for them to take a month during the summer to explore Europe. I backpacked my way around Europe in the late 70's but they would like a little assistance doing that. Anything out there to accomodate them.

Thanks.
snoz
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby TravelFun » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi there,

Your request is very generic...there's plenty out there in Europe (as you have experienced) but it all depends what interests your sons.

I've posted some information on travel in Europe by train, this may be useful:
http://wateringhole.gapadventures.com/v ... php?t=4214

What type of activities or holidays do they like?

Happy travels !
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby Orlaith » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:40 am

Hi-

I just wanted to mention that I interrailed for a month a couple of summers ago and saved a load of money by NOT buying the interrailing ticket. And we travelled on the fastest trains we could get and took couchettes too on the sleeper trains.

There is a different ticket for American travellers in Europe for the trains- but just check if you can get the faster trains etc with it. With the Interrail pass you are quite limited- eg can't use TGV in France.

Also- totally check cheap flights- often cheaper than the trains if you keep an eye on them in advance- eg I flew Paris to Barcelona last summer for 25 euro and the train would have taken ages- and cost me about 140!
Orlaith
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Europe