Paris, Bristol, Cardiff, Dublin & Edinburgh

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Paris, Bristol, Cardiff, Dublin & Edinburgh

Postby eewles » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi, I'm heading to the above places this summer with my backpack and am looking for some tips. I'm planning on staying in hostels and trying to keep the food budget down. I'm looking for tips on good hostels, places to eat, touristy things I should want to see and any other tips you might have on getting from one place to the next.

Thanks!

Emily
eewles
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Orlaith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi Emily-

I've been to Paris and I'm Irish so I've been to Dublin- try and stay central in dublin. you'll spend the difference on buses/taxis anyway.

You'll love Paree- there is nothing not too like! I stayed there with my boyfriend in a hostel called Le Montclair Montmartre- metro station and bakery and atm right on the corner to set you up for the day! If you're there with a bunch of friends I'd recommend checking out a small apartment. I stayed there last summer with five friends for a week in a wee apartment in a really central spot just five mins from L'Hotel de Ville and it worked out cheaper than a hostel.
Watch out for pickpockets around Notre Dame- my friend lost her wallet there.

Check out Ryanair and other airlines like easyJet/ryanair for the between country journeys- you can get flights for 2.99 plus taxes sometimes.

enjoy your trip
Orlaith
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby KP » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Hey you should most DEFENATLY go to edinburgh in august. Its the Edinburgh festval, and its amazing! So much going on you'll never been stuck for something to do. plus people come from all over the world so you get to meet a lot of different people.

For eating out nd stuff edinburgh can be pricey. Glasgows (where i live) only a 50min train journey away, its got some really good night life and its a bit cheaper. id say ts just as good as edinburgh but your choice.
KP
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby eewles » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:08 pm

I am going to go to Glasgow now for 2 days I think it is. Any suggestions of good places to eat and good things to see there? And also, I now plan to move to Edinburgh when my trip with my friends is over so here's hoping I love it there since I've never been!!
eewles

Postby cookie » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:11 pm

eewles wrote:I am going to go to Glasgow now for 2 days I think it is. Any suggestions of good places to eat and good things to see there? And also, I now plan to move to Edinburgh when my trip with my friends is over so here's hoping I love it there since I've never been!!

You'll find the UK is really expensive for eating out in comparison to Canada so bear that in mind when you budget for your trip. I live in Glasgow and there are loads of great places to eat out, you won't be stuck for finding somewhere nice that is reasonably priced. In the west end I'd recommend Firebird on Dumbarton Rd and Brel in Ashton Lane in particular. In town, Oko on Queen St is great for sushi and Japanese food and there's a great Indian restaurant called the Dhabba in the Merchant City.

In terms of things to do, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery on Dumbarton Rd is a great place to wander round for a few hours. It's situated at the edge of Kelvingrove Park which is lovely for walking round and people watching on a nice day. The open top bus tour which leaves from George Square in the city centre is a great introduction to the city and the tickets are hop-on, hop-off and valid for the whole day. On the south side there is the Science Centre which is great if you're a bit of a big kid as there's lots of interactive displays and an IMAX theatre. There's also the Burrell Collection in Pollok Park if you're in need of a bit more culture.

In town there is great shopping on Buchanan St and in Buchanan Galleries in particular, although again you might find it quite expensive in comparison to Canada.

Hope this helps and you enjoy your 2 days here :)
cookie
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Europe