Greek Island Sailing Q's

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Greek Island Sailing Q's

Postby kcupp95 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Is there any sort of itinerary that attracts a certain age group of people?

Is it mainly solo travellers or couples/friends?

How secure is your stuff when docked in port - do you have the option to go back to the yacht at any time?

On the Santorini-Santorini route, do you get to visit local villages (with local Greeks) or is it majority tourism?
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Greek Island Sailing Q's

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:05 pm

kcupp95 wrote:Is there any sort of itinerary that attracts a certain age group of people?

According to our skipper 5 years ago, every sail is different. My observations was that the partiers tended to gravitate to the Santorini-to-Santorini cruise or sometimes the Mykonos-Santorini leg but I had a very limited sample size of observations.

kcupp95 wrote:Is it mainly solo travellers or couples/friends?

I'd say about 50/50. We had one couple and 6 solos going from Athens to Mykonos; 2 couples, 2 friends, and 2 solos from Mykonos to Santorini; and 3 solos and 2 friends from Santorini to Kos.
kcupp95 wrote:How secure is your stuff when docked in port - do you have the option to go back to the yacht at any time?

You lock the yacht if everyone is leaving it at port. That wouldn't stop a determined thief but I saw no problems. You can return to the yacht at anytime.

kcupp95 wrote:On the Santorini-Santorini route, do you get to visit local villages (with local Greeks) or is it majority tourism?

I went from Athens to Kos so didn't do Santorini-to-Santorini but they appeared to follow a fairly similar route. All of islands you visit are ones with established ports and services so there's a fair amount of tourism but many of the port towns are pretty small. Obvious exceptions are Mykonos, Santorini, and Naxos but you can visit smaller towns on those islands.

We were laid up in Naxos for 3 days due to meltimi winds -- you'll probably see a bit of the same thing but Naxos is a great island to be "stranded" on -- lots to see and do, including smaller towns and less touristy sights.

If you want less touristy legs, I'd go with Athens to Mykonos (try to get the skipper to overnight in Sounion Bay) or Santorini to Kos but you'll have plenty of opportunity to see less touristy destinations on the Mykonos-Santorini leg.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Europe