Turkey - trip cancellations/safety?

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Turkey - trip cancellations/safety?

Postby ceskyk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 am

Hi there,

I currently have a spot saved on the Absolute Turkey tour starting April 6th, 2014. I haven't confirmed yet but over breakfast this morning saw numerous news pieces of unrest and protests in Istanbul and Ankara, both of which are locations on the trip. Furthermore Turkey, while not on the official "Do not travel to list", is currently designated as "Exercise a high degree of caution" by the Canadian government's travel board.

Is there a reason to be concerned especially as I am a solo woman planning to arrive in Istanbul a few days early? Also do you expect disruptions to the planned tour in April?

Thanks!
ceskyk
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Turkey - trip cancellations/safety?

Postby bojabes » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I understand your concern and suggest that if you're really worried, to call G Adventures and discuss the matter. I have been to Turkey (with G Adventures) before and am registered to go on the Eastern Turkey Adventure in May. Personally, I can't wait. I'm so excited at the prospect of wandering the streets of Istanbul again before setting off on the journey east. Just to put your mind at ease bit and add a little perspective, there are similar Canadian Government DFAIT warnings in effect for such places as Israel, Vietnam, Thailand, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Costa Rica, and Mexico (just to name a few common travel destinations). You definitely need to be aware of your surroundings when abroad - especially as a solo female traveler - but I'll bet you'll have an amazing, hassle-free time in Turkey and will remember the good times and company for years to come. The Turks are wonderful people. Enjoy yourself!
bojabes

Re: Turkey - trip cancellations/safety?

Postby jodieleigh » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:18 pm

I don't know much about the situation in Turkey right now, but when I went to Peru to do the Inca Trail a couple of years ago, there were travel advisories about riots and protests in Cuzco, and tourists were discouraged from going. I went and spend 5 days in Cuzco before my tour started and didn't have any problems. It was like nothing was out of the ordinary, to be honest.

It might be different in Turkey, but...I would keep an eye on the situation and call G Adventures and talk to them about it.

And when you're there, just be sure to stay away from large crowds and be aware of your surroundings. Also research the cities and where riots are most likely to take place (city centres/main squares...). Something else that I went by while I was in Cuzco was whether there were police around. One day I was walking through Plaza d'Armas late at night and there were police with riot shields all around. I'm not sure if they were there usually, or if something was about to happen, but I made sure to keep my distance and be careful.
jodieleigh

Return to Europe