Can't decide between Best of Turkey of Taste of Turkey

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Can't decide between Best of Turkey of Taste of Turkey

Postby ajr25 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:58 pm

My boyfriend and I are planning on going to Turkey in April. We cannot decide between Taste of Turkey and Best of Turkey. We both love history, out door activity, and of course the food. Does anyone have recommendations on one over the other? Any information would be helpful in deciding which to go to :D
ajr25
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Can't decide between Best of Turkey of Taste of Turkey

Postby Zuleika » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:57 am

I went all round Turkey and absolutely loved it. If you like history it is steeped in it.
If your into it, have a read up of Ataturk his life and what he achieved. He is the sole reason that Turkey is the nation it is today. Its incredible. So then if you decide to go the Ankara route and his mausoleum, which is fascinating - then it makes so much more sense and interest.
There is nothing much left at Troy and Gallipoli was OK but its more for the Anzacs than the Brits etc.
Its a shame that most of these tours miss out the absolute best and most amazing place in Turkey (imo!) and that is the Ruins at Aphrodesias, in favour of Epheseus. Epheseus is OK don't get me wrong but it is a rebuild and jam packed full of cruise liners - be warned!!! Aphrodesias is out of the way of the cruisers, peaceful, a bit of a ruin but at least still natural, and the stadium is gobsmackingly stunning to behold, like nothing else.
Anyway, I digress.
Cappadocia is definitely worth a look, I really enjoyed it there. Its different from anything else and the countryside is stunning and the fairy chimneys provide awesome photo opportunities. But Pammukale is also amazing and there is a lot to see there too, the amphitheatre there is one of the best. That is a tough call between the two and I think you will enjoy both, I can't pick it honestly.
Have a great time.

PS - note that if you want to visit the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul it is closed on Sundays. Use the trams to get around - easy and cheap)
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Can't decide between Best of Turkey of Taste of Turkey

Postby earth2al » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 am

Hi AJ, I'm just back from 3 weeks in Turkey. It looks like you choice comes down to Cappadocia or Pamukkale. Choose Cap if you want to do a balloon ride, although kinda pricey at around $300usd. It's also a good place to rent small motorcycles or mopeds for an afternoon of exploring the fairy chimneys on your own ($40-60usd). The 'cotton candy cliffs' at Pam were pretty cool to hike up barefoot and there is a boatload (pun intended) of history, with Hieropolis and The Necropolis at the top. Your ceo (HOPE you get Isil!!!) will know to arrive at the top in the afternoon when the tour boat crowd is headed back to sea... LOVED it all, you can't miss either way! I only wish that Dalyan were on your itinerary, amazing beach and nightlife!!!

Trust in Allah, but tie your camel... Prophet Muhammad
earth2al
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Europe