Greek sailing adventure.. Sea sickness

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Greek sailing adventure.. Sea sickness

Postby rangers23 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi I'm tempted to book a Greek sailing but worried about it being ruined by sea sickness. I've jumped out of a plane and felt fine, but can't do rides! Go figure! Also is September, October good times to go?
Thanks
rangers23
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Greek sailing adventure.. Sea sickness

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 pm

rangers23 wrote:Hi I'm tempted to book a Greek sailing but worried about it being ruined by sea sickness. I've jumped out of a plane and felt fine, but can't do rides! Go figure! Also is September, October good times to go?
Thanks

I can't tell you about September or October but the ride was generally pretty easy. It'll be too much for the boat if the meltimi winds kick up so you'll generally set sail only in light winds anyway. I think I got slightly nauseous a couple times in three weeks but otherwise had no problems. Take some medication or crystalized ginger if you're really worried about it but it's an experience not to be missed!
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby georginal » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:42 pm

That time of year is definitely a good time to go. It might not as hot as the height of the summer, but a bit quieter as its not school holidays then either. Thumbs up!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby rangers23 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for the replies, will be definitely booking the trip.. :)
rangers23

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Have fun! I think my favorite islands were Syros (on the Athens-Mykonos leg) and Naxos (Mykonos-Santorini leg). Of course, Mykonos and Santorini were outstanding too -- loved swimming in the Santorini crater and rented a scooter on Mykonos so I could go scuba diving. If you're doing the Athens-Mykonos leg, ask the skipper to anchor in Sounion Bay for a night -- it's a great place to snorkel and sunset from Poseidon's Temple is outstanding.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby manon » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:21 pm

hello ExplorerWannaBe,

I see you liked your sailing trip! nice to hear :)

Would you think 10 days from Santorini to Santorini is worth it, or the 8 days Santorini to Mykonos would be about the same thing? I can't decide which one to take. Cuz i want to take a ferry to Athens after and dont want to extend my trip if not necessary.

thanks in advance
Manon :)
manon
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:05 am

I really don't know what the Santorini-Santorini trip is like. I've heard it can be party boat time in the summer when the college kids are taking it but it seems like every leg of every sailing cruise is different. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Santorini has the red and black sand beaches in addition to white sand but Mykonos has spectacular snorkeling/scuba diving (Santorini may as well). I don't know what islands the 10-day voyage hits that the 8-day didn't. Just enjoy whichever cruise you take ... it's spectacular.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby manon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:13 am

ExplorerWannaBe wrote:I really don't know what the Santorini-Santorini trip is like. I've heard it can be party boat time in the summer when the college kids are taking it but it seems like every leg of every sailing cruise is different. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Santorini has the red and black sand beaches in addition to white sand but Mykonos has spectacular snorkeling/scuba diving (Santorini may as well). I don't know what islands the 10-day voyage hits that the 8-day didn't. Just enjoy whichever cruise you take ... it's spectacular.

Hello Explorerwannabe! Thank u for your answer, grealty appreciated!! How about the weather on the boat? you had to wear bikini or shorts (if you are a man lol) and tan on the deck? or it was chilly?

I want to book sept 29th for 8 days or oct 5th 10 days.

tahnks again
Manon
manon

Re: Greek sailing adventure

Postby tasartist » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi there G Adventurers!
I'm completely new to this style of travelling and have just booked to go on the 8 day Santorini to Mykonos Sailing adventure and have also independently booked 5 days in Oia on Santorini before hand and 3 days in Mykonos afterwards. Any tips? Advice? What to expect? Anyone else going on this one? = 6th July - 13th July 2014. I'm REALLY hoping I'm not gonna be the oldy? (a young 36!) :roll:
Am looking forward to exploring the Islands, perhaps some drawing and painting, seeing the sights in all manner of adventurous ways and trying the local cuisine and dwinkies! :D
Thank you
Tasartist. :D
tasartist
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby noodengr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:22 pm

I treated myself to sailing the Greek Dodecanese islands for my 50th b-day a couple of years ago.
It was not Gadventure, I had not discovered this company back then. But as for the sailing experience , it was awesome. We sailed in everything from calm seas to 12ft seas and 40 knot winds in a 15 meter yacht. It was Sept, the weather was warm but not too hot. We had one rain shower the last night aboard and that was it. Skinny dipping in mid sea in the bluest water I have ever been in was a highlight. As for seasickness, nothing bothered me, but at the end of the trip the very experienced captain fessed up one of the about got to her. Stay topside and look at the horizon. Pee off the back of the boat, do not try to go below when it is rough.
noodengr

Return to Europe