absolute turkey

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

absolute turkey

Postby esther`989 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:08 am

Has anyone done the absolute turkey?? would be great to get advice about the trip :).
esther`989
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: absolute turkey

Postby b844d2153fcdb391ac319d497a2725 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:49 pm

Hey,
I am Ibrahim, CEO in Turkey. It is our top seller tour in Turkey. Every single day is different than previous one. Awesome trip! NO REGRETS! ;)
b844d2153fcdb391ac319d497a2725

Postby achates » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:08 pm

I have just come back from this trip in May, and I recommend it very highly to all my friends. Just about every day members of my tour group say "This is the best place ever! Can we stay longer?"

Don't buy carpet in Istanbul. Do research before your trip. You may want to buy one from a reputable producer in central Turkey (Konya?). I enjoyed the hot air balloon very much, so did everyone else on my tour. If you are on tight budget, the only option I recommend skipping is "Turkish night". It's more dance show than dinner. I would enjoy the sunset and buy yourself a nice dinner in Cappadocia instead.

I wish I had a few more days after the tour to get to know Istanbul better. I had only one day, and I am glad I went to Büyükada (largest of the Prince Islands) with a few fellow tour group members. You can go with horse-drawn carriage ride on the island, but we enjoyed admiring those mansions along the walk to Ayia Yorgi on top of the hill.
achates

Postby davez » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:21 pm

Hello achates,
Thanks for your feedback. We are just packing for the same trip. The information from adventures is to use backpacks and pack very light. Was this your experience? With a strenuous grade of 2, it seems that luggage and a few more shirts and slacks might be appropriate. We are used to trekking and can pack light, but are curious as to your experience.

Any other hints for first-timers?

Thanks much
Dave Z
davez

Postby achates » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:41 am

It is definitely better to travel light, even though we leave luggage in the van while sightseeing. At least one of the stays requires you to carry luggage upstairs in a narrow stairway. There was at least one occasion where we had to carry luggage for about 2 blocks over cobblestone street.

There is a lot of walking, and especially if you get up early in the morning like me to look for photos. So wear comfortable walking shoes.

Get a no fee ATM card to withdraw cash as you go. My spending went over budget because we had people in the group that liked to order alcohol to share and I did not resist for the first week...

Bring extra memory card or film. I filled up two 32 GB cards with my Fuji X-100s.

Remember that spice market closes before sunset. Leave enough time to find the store you want to shop before you leave Istanbul.

Make friends on the trip and enjoy!
achates

Postby davez » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 am

Thanks much for your insights, achates. We appreciate your help as we go through our preparations

Dave Z
davez

Postby turkeytraveler » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:48 pm

I am on the Absolute Turkey tour starting on August 24. I have a couple of questions:
1. How is the WiFi situation?
2. Is it possible to get a phone card (sim card) in Istanbul for two weeks, which i can use with my unlocked phone?

Please let me know.
Thank you
turkeytraveler

Postby achates » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:56 pm

You will be tired from a full day of walking around and taking photos. Why would you need wifi and phone card? I did not look for phone card on this trip. Hotel stays include wifi. So it is possible to send emails and do FaceTime calls. I think I used FaceTime once. Enjoy your trip, get to know your fellow travelers, if not the locals as well. Business can wait after you are recharged from this trip.
achates

Postby turkeytraveler » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 pm

achates wrote:You will be tired from a full day of walking around and taking photos. Why would you need wifi and phone card? I did not look for phone card on this trip. Hotel stays include wifi. So it is possible to send emails and do FaceTime calls. I think I used FaceTime once. Enjoy your trip, get to know your fellow travelers, if not the locals as well. Business can wait after you are recharged from this trip.

Thanks Achates. Unfortunately, my wife cannot join me for the trip and I have to stay in touch with her. Good to know that the hotels have wifi.
turkeytraveler

Return to Europe