Food in Iceland???

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Food in Iceland???

Postby meredithgies » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Curious on the cuisine in Iceland. Read a few interesting things... has anyone done the Iceland Adventure that has information about what to expect? Thanks!!!
meredithgies
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Food in Iceland???

Postby janbo » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:27 am

I did that trip in June. The food was very good - lots of lamb. I had the traditional Icelandic soup often (lamb with veggies and broth). Prices are pretty high in general, especially alcohol at a restaurant. We stopped at grocery stores quite a few times to stock up. The introductory meal GAP provided the first night we met was Amazing! :o Nine courses, beautifully prepared and so delicious. Make sure to try Skyr (kind of like yogurt) but don't call it yogurt!! I ate at food trucks a couple of times - there's a great one in Seydisfjordur. Icelandic ice cream and butter is delish too!
janbo

Postby kateyb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Try the hot dogs from the carts too. Cheap and delicious! They have some mustard like sauce that you put on it that tastes delicious.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby laelle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:12 am

If you like fish.. Iceland is the place to be! Try the Monkfish, best dish I ever had! We went to an Italian restaurant and the prices where so high :shock: But it's just that they have to get everything by boat/plane...
laelle
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Europe