Baggage size thoughts for a former Topdecker??

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Baggage size thoughts for a former Topdecker??

Postby jlucca33 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey guys,

Doing my first tour with G on their 15 day Adriatic Adventure, (Zagreb to Athers.)at the end of August. Been travelling with Topdeck for the past 10 years, and I always took a large suitcase on wheels. This was always great, because we had a coach bus that took us from city to city, right to the hotel entrance. From what i am reading, G adventures tends to use a bit more public transport. Based on this, my assumptions are that the suitcase on wheels would be too cumbersome. What are your suggestions to use instead? A backpack is too small fro a 15 day trip! I have a pretty large satchel that I use for scuba tanks and gear, but I would have to lug it around??? What are the general thoughts from the G travellers?
jlucca33
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Baggage size thoughts for a former Topdecker??

Postby TravelFun » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 pm

jlucca33 wrote:A backpack is too small fro a 15 day trip!

Hmmm, you'll find most G travellers do take a backpack or similar size luggage and travel light. You'll be on the move quite alot on the trip so make sure you can carry your own luggage from transport to accommodation, up/down stairs, on local transport etc. I took a 60L backpack when I went travelling for 4 months!

A small suitcase should be fine but some of the places you're going to may have cobbled paving so make sure you can pick it up easily too.

Try packing lightly...pack and unpack a few times and each time take sometime out to leave behind at home. I pack based on the maximum stay in one place and pack for those days plus a couple of extra items to mix and match, a pair of jeans and a nice top to go out. Based on this trip, at most you're in one place for 2 nights so I'd recommend packing for 4 nights and you're done. Try it.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby sinecure » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I recommend this site a lot.

http://www.onebag.com/

They go in to great depth on how to make life on the road work, with the right amount of clothes.
sinecure

Postby jlucca33 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:41 pm

Thank you so much for the information. This will come in quite handy. Yes, I've seen the travellers with those huge backpacks rigged to their backs. Im thiking that might be a bit much for a trip like this. I'm hoping I can just keep my bathing trunks on most of the time! lol
jlucca33

Postby CdnSue » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:45 pm

I did my first Topdeck trip last summer and was surprised that everyone had a suitcase on wheels except me! For G Adventures tours I think it really depends on your trip - location and style (comfort vs. basic). Your itinerary should be able to tell you what type of transport you are using. With more public transit I'd suggest something you can carry easily.
CdnSue
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby gnome mad » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:54 pm

I did a 1 month trip in Europe several years back with one of those convertible carry-on sized backpacks that has wheels. As long as you're not doing a trekking holiday, you can get by with a wheeled suitcase of this sort. Just make sure to get one with the biggest, burliest wheels you can find. The cobblestones are no joke, and will catch the smaller wheels quite easily.

And bear in mind these cautions:
- Make sure the bag is no wider than the aisle of a typical bus/train. 22 inch is a tight but doable fit, 21 inches the ideal maximum. There are some surprisingly big wheeled duffel bags that conform to this width and are ultimately more practical than wide suitcases with half their interior volume.

- Any "convertible" bag with wheels is going to spend 99% of its time as a wheeled suitcase. The backpack straps are there in a pinch if you need them, but the weight (and weight distribution) of the wheel and handle mechanism makes them a poor choice for long- or even mid-term backpacking.
gnome mad
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Europe