GREEK ISLANDS SAILING ADVENTURE (SANTORINI TO ATHENS)

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

GREEK ISLANDS SAILING ADVENTURE (SANTORINI TO ATHENS)

Postby mike4zen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm considering booking the 14 day trip from Santorini to Athens (http://www.gadventures.com/trips/greek- ... itinerary/)

Has anyone done this trip or legs of it and could you share your experience?

Is 14 days too long on a sailboat tour?

I have 2 weeks vacation time total and want to get the most out of it. This trip seems amazing, but would love to hear others opinions.

Thanks!
mike4zen
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: GREEK ISLANDS SAILING ADVENTURE (SANTORINI TO ATHENS)

Postby roni h » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:55 pm

My husband and I are taking the 7 day Mykonos to Santorini Sept 1. Read the blogs for more info.....getting so excited! We wanted to mix up our two weeks so we combined it with a week of cycling in Tuscany the week before. Life is good!!! Roni
roni h

Postby rgsluss » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:49 am

14 is not too long on a sailboat! I did 3 legs in a row (Athens to Kos) and it was amazing. Another couple did 2 legs. The difference between the people on each leg is fun and interesting. It will feel like 2 different trips. Pack light and have fun!
rgsluss

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:00 am

I also did Athens to Kos and enjoyed all three legs. 14 days is no longer than 4 days if you have the spirit of adventure as all the islands are different. Enjoy the trip!
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby 1320278 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:40 am

Hey roni

I'm doing the sailing the Greek islands Mykonos to santorini as well but not until the end of September. I was wondering how are you guys getting to the islands? Flying to athens then a ferry?? Or are you flying from athens to the islands?? If you catching the ferry what port and ferry company are you using??
Thanks Romy

Postby jennifers » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:05 pm

Hey Romy,

I would recommend flying in and out of Athens- flights to/from the islands directly from international destinations are really pricey, and furthermore when you aren't arriving and departing from the same place to take advantage of round trip fare discounts.

Fly into Athens and take the great local buses or metro, or a taxi, to the Port of Piraeus. If you need to overnight, there are tons of local hotels you can stay in for cheap (a lot of nice local 2 and 3 star hotels for 30 Euros). There are three ferry types, each one a bit faster and a bit more expensive than the last, that can take you to Mykonos and then back again from Santorini to Piraeus for going home. You're looking at about 27-40 euros each way.

The flights into/out of Athens are substantially less though- right now I can see $1100-$1300 vs. the $2600-$3000 in and out of the islands. Don't be afraid to google things for Greece- I have found it so easy to find the information I'm looking for that I've been tempted to do the trip on my own, lol.
jennifers

Return to Europe