Greek Sailing Trips advice please!

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Greek Sailing Trips advice please!

Postby lizzie3 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi everyone, so I am on the verge of booking a Greek sailing trip this August.

I've never been on holiday on my own and so am feeling a bit nervous although I'm sure it'll be fine.

I am a 33 yr old female. Are the people on these trips a similar kind of age?

Is there anyone on this forum who has been on a sailing trip and can share their experiences. I THINK I've settled on the 10 day Santorini-Santorini trip.

Thanks very much!

Liz
lizzie3
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Greek Sailing Trips advice please!

Postby lonewolf13 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Liz,
I went on the Santorini-Santorini Greek sailing trip in October 2010. It was great fun! Although I wouldn't recommend going in October (too cold)--I'm sure August will be great weather. From what I remember, there were 3 of us in our late 20s/early 30's, then 3 in their 50's. The GAP leader was also young, I'd say in his 30's.

If you do the Santorini round trip sailing, don't forget to plan extra time on Santorini itself like I did. I would've liked an extra day or 2 to explore. If you have other questions about the trip, just let me know :)
lonewolf13

Postby texas traveler » Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Lizzie, I'm doing the Santorini-Santorini sailing trip beginning August 19 and I'm in my mid-30s. I've traveled single on other G trips before and I've found most travelers are single, sometimes traveling with a friend but in most cases on their own. In my experience, you make more acquaintances and sometimes better friends that way. Of course, the couples are very nice and engaging too, but my experience is that they often go do their own thing for an afternoon or dinner, which is fine.

Good luck with your decision-making. So many options to consider.
texas traveler

Postby lizzie3 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks so much for the replies! I need to get on and book this!

Texastraveller the 19th is the one I'm thinking of going on :P
lizzie3

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 am

I did Athens to Kos back in 2009. The passenger mix varies from trip to trip but you shouldn't feel nervous at all. Most everyone on all three legs was quite nice although we all have our oddities and quirks. I rather enjoyed the variety of islands, am not sure I'd have opted for the Santorini-Santorini round-trip circuit, but you should have fun no matter which one you do.

Definitely give yourself an extra day or two in Santorini to explore. Having an extra day before the start gives you some leeway in case the meltimi interrupt ferry service to Santorini or you have an airline delay and gives you a chance to shop for anything you might have left behind. If you get there with plenty of time then you've got the day to sightsee (bring your driver's license so you can rent a scooter or car): wineries, beaches, etc.

I'd leave the shopping for the day after you get back since storage on the yacht is limited. You definitely want to confine your luggage to something collapsible and try to keep it under 50 liters (30 would be even better).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Europe