What to Pack for 4 Weeks in Italy

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What to Pack for 4 Weeks in Italy

Postby requetebuena » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:09 am

I'm going to be traveling solo in Italy May 20-June 24 (about half of that time will be a tour with GAP). As usual, the anticipation is half the fun. However, in this case I am also a little apprehensive-

What should I pack? And how much? Should I pack a backpack or suitcase?

Any and all advice is appreciated.
requetebuena
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: What to Pack for 4 Weeks in Italy

Postby georginal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Whether will be getting hotter then, so pack light with maybe one layer of lightweight waterproofs. Pack like you would for a usual two week touring holiday. Have something with you to cover head and shoulders if you want to go into churches etc. Backpack all the way.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:37 pm

I would suggest a suitcase with wheels. I'm a big fan of the Eagle Creek stuff but it is a bit pricy, http://shop.eaglecreek.com/rolling-luggage/l/112. On the G trips, there's really no need for a backpack.

Weather wise, Italy will be starting to get hot as you get into June. You shouldn't need to pack a bag larger than 60L plus a little daypack. You'll definitely want some very casual clothes as well as maybe some nicer stuff for the evenings. I would think you probably just need a waterproof windbreaker as anything else would probably end up feeling too hot.

You may want to check Trip Advisor, Italy forum and ask the question.
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g18 ... Italy.html
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby luckyluke » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:22 am

Backpack or suitcase depends on how you are travelling (and on which you prefer). If you will be walking a lot with your luggage then a backpack is probably better. But if you will be doing more travel with public transport and not dragging luggage around with you all the time then you can go for either.

You will need to pack all the essentials that you need for a normal shorter holiday and enough clothes to last you for as long as you want to manage without finding a laundrette! If you have lots of space you can go for more clothes and less washing while away. But personally I would probably go for packing light with enough clothes for 1 (maybe 2) week(s) and do washing while away.

Essentials could include:
Camera, travel adapters, phone and charger, money and passport (the most essential - everything else can be bought if forgotton!), phrase book as you are there for a while??, map and clothes.

Buone vacanze!
luckyluke

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:01 am

Longer travel doesn't necessarily mean more stuff to haul around! You can get away with just a few changes of clothes, nice for evenings, casual for days. We often do laundry in the shower :oops: so we don't worry about finding a designated place for that task! Take some old clothes you can discard if you find a nice local replacement. Travel light, you'll be carting your things up multiple flights of stairs, on and off trains and buses. It's amazing what you can do without, we find it quite liberating!
Italy is beautiful, enjoy!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby lydiawpatel » Wed May 08, 2013 1:59 am

Make sure you have plenty of room in your stomach for all the delicious Gelato!
lydiawpatel

Postby georginal » Thu May 09, 2013 2:56 pm

and Italy is definitely the place to shop for clothes if you find you need any more! Is said backpack because if you're on public trasnprt you might struggle with a case. The trains are cheap but old and some are the type that have steep stairs up to the carriage! Enjoy, Italy is certainly the place to spend 4 weeks!
georginal

Return to Europe