Thoughts on the Best of Eastern Europe

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Thoughts on the Best of Eastern Europe

Postby pdrake » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:53 pm

thinking of taking my GF on this tour, has anyone taken and what are your impressions of the tour.
pdrake
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Thoughts on the Best of Eastern Europe

Postby sobieski » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:42 pm

go to Poland ,Krakow,Gdansk. the best places to be , not expensive and great history
sobieski

Postby pdrake » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 am

thanks, did anyone take this particular tour?
pdrake

Postby onyx007 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey pdrake,

the other two's didn't understood your question. I wasn't on this tour, but I've been to most of the places on this trip "Best of Eastern Europe". It looks great and you will see some great places.

I did three G-adventures-tours and in my opinion they do a great job, so go for it and prepare for some goose bumps when you will visiting Auschwitz, I had some...

As an advice; plan maybe two or even three more days in Berlin; it's the greatest city in Germany; history (20th century and beyond), architecture (all the new buildings, ricing after the fall of the Berlin Wall), partying hard (Kurfürstendamm, Friedrichstrasse ect.), amazing museums (DDR, Bunker, Pergamon)and many things more. You can even go the the city of Potsdam, which is on the outskirts of Berlin and there is the palace of sansoucci (the Versailles of Germany) and the Movie-Studios "Babelsberg" where lots of Q.Tarantinos "Inglorious Basterds" was made.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby pdrake » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm

thanks.
pdrake

Postby lydiawpatel » Wed May 08, 2013 2:00 am

I agree Berlin and Krakow are both gorgeous cities to visit, make extra time for them
lydiawpatel

Postby sbock88 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 pm

I went on this trip last summer with my sister and it was amazing. Although, the itinerary we had is different than the one they have currently. (And our trip was $500 more expensive) We went to Vienna, Czesky Krumlov (in the Czech Republic), Prague, Krakow, The Tatras Mountains, and Budapest. It was wonderful, traveling wasn't too terrible- not many long trips to get from destinantion to destination. and it was a great mix of individual and group time. I would suggest using a backpack as your luggage (we used suitcases and regretted it with all the steps and hoping on and off of public busses) So although it wasn't the exact tour the areas are great and I would highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any other questions!
sbock88

Postby djp2015 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Hello,

I have a ton of questions about the Best of Eastern Europe trip....I just haven't formulated all of them at this point. The top one on my mind right now is the flexibility of doing things outside of the group. I know there are activities I sign up for in advance of the trip, but what if I want to go to a different museum or a different site other than the group, am I free to do so?

A big thing for me is to be able to get to (Roman Catholic) Mass on Sundays, and possibly during the week as well. Am I able to just do that? Do I have to just this figure this out on my own based on where we are at during the trip?

And what about the accommodations? If I want a Holiday Inn kind of experience, would I choose the "comfort level"? I just want to know what the differences in the quality of accommodations between the different levels one can choose for lodging.

More questions to come:)

Thanks for everyone's input on this.

Here's to 2015 and to new adventures!

DJP
djp2015

Postby brad.fraser » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:22 pm

This tour looks great. Such a shame it doesn't run any departures in October :cry:
brad.fraser
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby onyx007 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:46 am

djp2015 wrote: I have a ton of questions about the Best of Eastern Europe trip....I just haven't formulated all of them at this point. The top one on my mind right now is the flexibility of doing things outside of the group. I know there are activities I sign up for in advance of the trip, but what if I want to go to a different museum or a different site other than the group, am I free to do so?

As I wrote some years back, I was not on this particular trip, but I went with three G-Adventure-Tours so far (Trans-Mongolian Express, Mexico and Indochina). There are always times when you can do your own thing, especially if there is an optional excursion going on. But of course you could even do something else, when there is an included activity going on. But you have to organise them by yourself sometimes and the main thing you have to be on time to be back from your trip to meet the group for the next leg of journey or activity. There are also times when you have anyway free time to do your own thing. So yes to your question, you're free to do so as long as you don't make it hard for the rest of the group...and the best things about trips like this is to know new People, which will be hard if half of the time you're missing out.

djp2015 wrote:A big thing for me is to be able to get to (Roman Catholic) Mass on Sundays, and possibly during the week as well. Am I able to just do that? Do I have to just this figure this out on my own based on where we are at during the trip?

Again, depending where you are on Sunday it might not be possible to visit the Mass as you might be on your way to the next place or you might miss a highlight visit. Edit: I just looked at the tour
and you have two options either starting on a saturday then you have you're first sunday on day 2 in Berlin and your second on day 9 in Praha, or starting on a tuesday when you have your first sunday on day 6 in Krakow and your second on day 13 in Vienna. Both have their advantage; for option 2 it's clearly stated that day 13 is at your own leisure, but you never know if on day 6 will be the trip to Auschwitz, that's something your tour leader will organise while travelling.

For Option 1 the good thing is that it looks like you don't have any organised activity, but on day 2 might be some optional activity planed from your CEO to explore Berlin and where you get to know your fellow tour members.

Good thing is also that it will be no Problem to find a Roman catholic church in every of the four places...

djp2015 wrote:And what about the accommodations? If I want a Holiday Inn kind of experience, would I choose the "comfort level"? I just want to know what the differences in the quality of accommodations between the different levels one can choose for lodging.

I think you should consider "comfort" than, but in Mexico I travelled with a "yolo"-tour and in Indochina with a "standard" and both tours had good Hotels; in Mexico we all were quite surprised about the nice Hotels on this "yolo"
onyx007

Postby mariex2 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Hello,

I'v done this tour three years (a bit different : it started in Vienna and ended in Budapest), and I love it ! A good mix of planned and solo activities, maybe half and half. Going to mass shouldn't be a problem, I think.
About the hotels, they are different than what we have here in the Americas. If you want kind of a Holiday Inn, you should definitely tai e Comfort level tour.
If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Anne-Marie
Québec city
mariex2
User Rank: Traveller

Postby noodengr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:58 pm

I took the tour Sept 2014, it was a great mix of fun, and sobering history. Auschwitz is a place everyone in the world should visit. Maybe we would learn...
There is a good mix of group and solo time. And even the group events if not to your liking are not must dos most of the time. You can opt out just keep in mind that you won't get a refund for not doing one of the included tours.
About the group. If you choose comfort, keep in mind that your fellow travelers will be older
and less adventuresome, if you choose a YOLO the group will be younger and party more.
All 5 classic tours that I have taken have been a good mix of ages all with common expectations
of the tour for accommodations and activities.
noodengr

Postby loftyman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:05 am

Hey!
I live in Ukraine and you can as well try cities like Odessa and Kharkiv this summer. Bet you're gonna love it. :D :D :D
loftyman

Return to Europe