Turkey - Lycian Way Trek

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Turkey - Lycian Way Trek

Postby wintergal » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:50 am

Hi there
We are thinking of doing this 7 day trek upon completion of the Absolute Turkey tour in September. Can anyone comment on the degree of difficulty or best times to undertake this. I have some trekking experience - Inca Trail, Annapurna trek. How does this trek compare? Thanks very much
wintergal
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Turkey - Lycian Way Trek

Postby lycian » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 am

Hello,

I did the Lycian Way Trekking trip in May, 2013. When I chose this trip, it did not have a single review, so I am writing this to help out those still in the process of deciding. This was my second G Adventures trip, and since the first one was phenomenal, I decided that I could count on G Adventures for quality. I am sorry to say that I was rather disappointed.

The pros: the views of the Mediterranean are quite striking; you move a fair amount, so if you are office-bound for the rest of the year, this is a pleasant respite; it’s a relaxed way to spend a week.

The cons: this trip is rather badly organized and coordinated. The day-by-day itinerary is only an approximation (for example, the longest hike on the itinerary, on Day 6, was cancelled without any explanation, and replaced by a cooking “lesson” for which we had to buy our own food and cook our own meal without any instruction from a local professional). So, when you read itinerary descriptions such as “Today we follow the Lycian Way through some of the smaller villages inland that make up the trail. Our route will take us through olive groves and past shepherds huts before the trail flattens out and we walk through meadows and fields dotted with houses,” keep in mind that you may not do this at all, as we didn’t. Some other things on the itinerary were also not as promised (The Blue Lagoon beach, one of the three activities included in the cost of the trip was left out altogether. Also, instead of 1 night in a hut, as written in the itinerary, we spent three nights in a hut). If seeing or passing through villages is important for you, keep in mind that you don’t really see any; for the first four days you are in a campsite, and the only locals you see are those servicing the tourism industry, and during the last three days you are in two towns that are much larger than a village. I think that at the end, much depends on the guide, and ours, Ugur, was quite inexperienced (this was his first G Adventures trip, and his first trip with a large group). He didn’t know the area well and had poor communication skills to the point of sometimes getting aggressive. We were often waiting around, or weren’t sure of our schedule for the next day, and some of us had a feeling that he was primarily there to enjoy himself rather than to assure a positive experience for the rest of us.

To be fair, many people in the group really enjoyed the experience, so you may too. It depends on your expectations and your reasons for coming. If you just want to get away, and you have the financial freedom to afford many such trips, this may be a good idea – many people in the group didn’t particularly care what we did or when, because they were just there to relax. They were just as happy staying in a hotel as going somewhere, and whatever we did or didn’t do was good enough. However, if you want value for your money, or if you are short on time and you really want each day of your vacation to count, and you know that you can’t just take another such vacation one in a month or so because of financial or time constraints, this may be a frustrating experience.
lycian

Re: Turkey - Lycian Way Trek

Postby georginal » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi

I've done some of the Lycian Way last year although not the full weeks version asked about above. Don't let the above post put you off the region, it sounds like G had a dud tour guide more than anything else, and having had that to deal with on another trip I know how frustrating that can be but hopefully G has sorted that out by now.

But there are some big walking days but if you have had some previous hill walking experience, and are overall fit, you should be fine. If you have done the Inca trail then and have done a little preparation I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Overall, can highly recommend the area.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Europe