Iceland in November - Northern lights tips?

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Iceland in November - Northern lights tips?

Postby bexonthebeach » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:50 am

Hi

I am thinking of doing a 4day city break to Reykjavik mid november and am desperate to see the northern lights. As its only for 3 nights, I want to maximise my chance of seeing them, but cant really get much further out of the city beyond the classic coach tours. Any tips?

also any other must-dos there other than the blue lagoon and the golden circle?

thanks!
bexonthebeach
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Iceland in November - Northern lights tips?

Postby georginal » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Bex

I haven't been to iceland, but did work in the Finnish Lapland for 6 weeks a couple of years back and it wasn't a great year for the NL. If rumour is to be believed though, 2012 is going to be a good year for the lights but you do need some clear and cold conditions to see them and you wont have a fair idea about that until nearer the time.

Having said that though if they are out, and there's no guarantees at all, the news spreads like wildfire throughout the resorts and I guess in Iceland that would be Reykjavic. I really wouldn't prebook excursions especially for the lights. And when they come out you don't want to be in the wrong place either. I'd definately book the trip, and then watch the weather conditions like a hawk the week or two before hand and then when you arrive in resort just be on the ball.

Enjoy, this is one I've got on my whislist as well.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby mike433 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21 am

Hi Bex,

I went to Iceland 2 years ago, I'd definately say the blue lagoon is a must! you can get a bus direct to it from Keflavik airport.

One must do is go to this famous hot dog stand in reykjavik, good hot dogs and not too hard to find. There are plenty of tour companies that do random tours that cater for all budgets. Reykjavik excursions is one we used for walking on glaciers (which was awesome!) Its worth looking at thier website for ideas.

Oh another really random thing we did. If your into volcanos, geology and well... the random. There is a guy that does this volcano show. He has his own mini cinema and has made films about Icelandic volcanos. Like i said, you need to be into your volcanos and the random. The guy who does it somewhat 'quirky' too. It will be listed in any lonely planet guide book as 'volcano show'. I also recall its not too far from the british embassy
mike433

Postby bexonthebeach » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks for the replies - I went and had a fantastic time!

For anyone wondering, it is deffo possible to see the northern lights from Iceland - i saw them twice! I was lucky with the weather - cold, calm and clear - and even managed to get photos thanks to my last minute purchase of a tripod.

Iceland itself was amazing - I used the company mentioned above - reykjavik excursions - to do a couple of tours out into the countryside to see geysirs, volcanoes, glaciers, lava fields, waterfalls... all frosty and dusted with snow :D Iceland is an absolutely stunning country and seeing the Northern Lights was amazing - its not a cheap trip, but worth every penny, and I would recommend it to anyone.
bexonthebeach

Postby georginal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the report, glad you saw them, I'm still a bit miffed about not seeing them in a 6 week trip, even though it was for work! I'm thinking about going next winter now, I was going to go this February, but had to change my days off for work, so am headed elsewhere on this occassion.
georginal

Return to Europe