Santorini - sites

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Santorini - sites

Postby barbara9909 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am

Hi, I will be in Santorini in September for a few days. If you've been there, what do you recommend seeing? Do you need to rent a car or how are the local buses? I don't speak any Greek. I heard there are some ruins there to see as well dating back to 1500 BC? Also a volcano?

thanks
Barbara
barbara9909
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Santorini - sites

Postby miltontraveller » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:16 am

We just returned from Santorini. It was awesome! We rented an ATV (10 Euros/day) and found it was a great way to get around the island. We did take the bus from the ferry to our accommodation in Imerovigli, and it worked well but we preferred the freedom of being able to go off the beaten track a little more. I would recommend going to Oia to wander around the narrow streets, then stay for sunset as well as a wander around Fira. The lighthouse on the south western tip has amazing views and is off the beaten path. We visited the ruins at Akrotiri on the southern coast. They've just re-opened after many years of being closed. It was interesting but I would recommend having a good guide book or hiring a guide for a tour. There are no signs to tell you what you're seeing and they aren't currently excavating the site. Red Beach and White Beach were great spots to visit on the south coast. Perissa is a beach area lined with restaurants and shops. It's touristy, but fun to see. I can say that Santorini has beautiful photos, but the real thing is even better.
miltontraveller

Postby barbara9909 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi thanks for all the info on Santorini! I'm looking forward to visiting. I will only have 2 days though unfortunately as the trip leaves from there for Ios and Naxos.

Glad to hear that Akrotiri has re-opened as that was on my list to see. Were there guides at Akrotiri that you could hire or is this something you have to arrange before arriving? I also do want to see Oia. I am staying Fira.
barbara9909

Postby miltontraveller » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:37 pm

Sorry, I don't know. I didn't see guides at the site, but that doesn't mean they weren't there.
miltontraveller

Return to Europe