Layover in Munich or Frankfurt?

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Layover in Munich or Frankfurt?

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm thinking about a trip at the end of August that could involve a nearly 12-hour layover in either Munich or Frankfurt. I'm guessing my checked luggage would be checked through to my end destination so all I'd have would be my carry-on (which means it will have a minimum of camera equipment and possibly a small laptop, toiletries and change of clothes).

It sounds like I could check my carry-on into a baggage hold for 7 Euros and go into the city for the afternoon. Has anyone else done this kind of thing? Any tips or things to watch for? Suggestions of what to do in either city for about 8 hours (allowing for time to get through Passport Control both ways and still make my flight).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Layover in Munich or Frankfurt?

Postby kateyb » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:03 am

I had a long layover in Frankfurt (12 hours) and I was easily able to go into the city for 6 hours. It is very quick to get to the "old city" of Frankfurt. Well worth it to pass the time. It was very quick and easy to go through passport control/security on the way back.

Munich may take a little longer. I believe it is around 45 minutes to take the train from the airport to Marienplatz. But you do have the time. And a 12 hour layover is just too long to spend in an airport in my opinion.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:14 pm

kateyb wrote:a 12 hour layover is just too long to spend in an airport in my opinion.

Agreed, that's why I'm trying to consider options. I've been to Frankfurt albeit just for an evening so walked along the river and down Berger Strasse but I just can't see spending 12 hours at the airport.

Thanks, I was wondering how much of a hassle it was going to be. You didn't have any problems with leaving the airport when your bags were checked all the way through to your end destination?
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby kateyb » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:40 pm

No hassle at all. Everything went really smooth and very quickly.
kateyb

Postby wilk7857 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:19 pm

The Munich airport is well outside of the main part of the city, so it takes awhile to get to the "Old Town" (Marienplatz). But that doesn't mean there isn't anything to do in the area around the airport.
For instance, if you are interested in Holocaust history the Dachau concentration camp is only a 25 minute cab ride from the airport, the only problem would be trying to get a cab back to the airport in time. And there is also Olympic Park and BMW World, in the north of Munich.
wilk7857
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Europe