Turkey Treasures Tour sept 2011

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Turkey Treasures Tour sept 2011

Postby janicebnz » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:49 am

Hi
I have just booked my next GAP tour-Turkey Treasures ETTTD leaving 3rd Sept. What will the weather be like in Istanbul at that time of year?
As I am travelling on my own I'd like to know what the do's & don'ts are in Turkey.
Has any anyone been on this tour recently- thoughts?
Appreciate your replies.
Thanks
janicebnz
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Turkey Treasures Tour sept 2011

Postby dani » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 am

Hi there!
My husband and I just got back from Turkey a couple of days ago. We took the 15 day absolute Turkey adventure. You are going to have the best time!! Not sure what the weather will be like in September. It was pretty mild in Istanbul in late June. It was pretty warm in Ephesus. You will find Turkey to be pretty modern, but I would advise to lean toward the conservative when it comes to dress in the areas you're going. No need to cover up completely, but I would suggest keeping the hemlines closer to the knee, just to avoid a hassle or the cold shoulder.
Be sure to have plenty of memory available on your camera!!! We took about 2000 pictures!!! 150 in Aya Sophia alone!! Trinkets in Istanbul are a bit expensive. Best to stock up on evil eyes, etc. once you're out of town, but you'll have time on your last day to pick up anything you missed along the way. If you can, and I know all budgets are different, TAKE THE BALLOON TRIP IN CAPPADOCIA!!! You won't regret it. I highly recommend taking the time to learn a bit of the language before you go. It's not an easy one, but a little goes a long way. You'll find most people in Istanbul speak at least some English, but knowing a few phrases can help out a lot and give you a bit of independence from your guide. The people in Turkey are so friendly and welcoming. You are going to have the best adventure! If you have any specific questions, be sure to post them. I'll keep an eye out. I love to share my experience, (without giving anything away :D )!
Serefe!
Dani
dani

Re: Turkey Treasures Tour sept 2011

Postby pirharun » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 am

If you visit Istanbul, i higly recommend you to take a Princes’ Island (callad also Buyuk Ada) tour. I pumped into this tour on Istanbul Daily City Tours on the internet. It was a regular tour. I was picked up from the hotel and cruised Marmara sea to Princes Island. If you like birds you can also feed seagulls with simit, a type of crisp, while crossing to the island. It may be really enjoyable. After we landed our guide gave a brief explanation and history of this lovely island then we had a horsedrawn carriage tour among pine trees This tour was totally awesome. You can take lots of beatiful scenery photos while taking deep breath and relaxing. (The hauses are gorgeus). Or you can sometimes close your eyes and listen the sound of the nails of horses and enjoy this peaceful time. We visited Aya Yorgi Church and Monestry. It is a very old building and has been located on this island for centuries. It is up on a hill where we had to walk unhill 15-20 minutes, but was fine for us. After the end of this relaxing tour we had a delicious meal at a fish restaurant. If you visit Princes’ Island you should really taste one of the fish meals. We had the opportunity to swim but i prefered to walk along the shores until time of return came. I want also mention that you can hire bicycle unless you want to walk or to go with a horsedrawn carriage. I returned to my hotel on time after this exciting and relaxing Princes’ Island tour. This lovely island should be on your list if you visit Istanbul.
pirharun

Return to Europe