Trekking Mont Blanc

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Trekking Mont Blanc

Postby Care » Thu May 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Hello...I am a newbie to this forum and was just wondering if anyone was interested in doing the Mont Blanc trekking....???? Doesn't seem like a popular tour at all.....but the pictures on the slideshow just took my breath away!! Any thoughts??? I am also looking to do this in August if anyone is interested!!!
Care
User Rank: Weekender

Booked for August

Postby mdottawa » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:11 pm

Hello Care,

I just booked the trip for Mont-Blanc, so you won't be alone if you decide to book it too :) Let me know if you book it.

Cheers
mdottawa
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby LadyBird » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:38 am

Hey Care,

Your looking at an awesome tour! With the physical grading set so high on the tour, it's going to scare a few people away.

If it's in your heart do it!
LadyBird

Postby Care » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:59 pm

I agree...I have already start to train for it...LOL
Care

Postby cantrekker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:14 pm

It's a beautiful area! If I'd didn't have the high altitude kick right now I'd go, however the cheaper cost to go to Mount Blanc might make me change my mind.
cantrekker
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby _mich_ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Care,

I was on the first group that went out this year and it was THE BEST!

As always, photos don't really capture how amazing the scenery is there. We met a couple along the way who described the tour du Mont Blanc as a 'pilgrimage for beauty' and we all of us on the trip couldn't agree more.

If you're considering it, do it! The food is amazing, the places you go area amazing, the people in the places you go are real nice...I could go on.
Im not sure how many diff people lead this gap trip but the leader we had was brilliant.

PLUS its an amazing feeling to be climbing from one country into another via the Alps!
_mich_

Postby Ditz » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:12 am

Hi there,
I just booked the Montblanc Tour in August. I hope to get in, 1 place was still available.
Can't wait to start it...

See you in Chamonix!
Ditz

Tour du Mont Blanc

Postby samtheman » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Hey guys,

i can only confirm about the trek, its beautiful, stunning, just make sure you got comfortable footwear, whatever you feel good in is OK. I wear trail runners/gore tex/light weight shoes with hard underground. Did 10 treks for G.A.P in summer 2005/2006. Also packing light is the key, bring different layers!!! if you really not sure just take it with you and ask your tour leader /trekking guide when your there, hotel has a storage room to store your extra stuff while on the trek.

this is a good one people, one of my all time favourite trips,

(am sorry i will not be able to respond to this mail the next 14 days, am in Beijing now and leaving for Tibet tomorrow) so very limited internet.

What a life he !!!!!!
samtheman

Postby Tall Paul » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Hey;

Just one dumb question. The trip summary talks about anascent. Does this mean right to the bloody top of the mountain?

Paul
Tall Paul
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Care » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:23 pm

Hello Tall Paul,
I just came back from Trekking Mont Blanc, it was the best trip and most memorable trip I've ever done. It is quite physically demanding but it is all worth it!
The tour does not 'go all the way to the top', Mont Blanc at its highest is 4807m, the highest we went was about 2660m. To be honest I don't remember reading the trip summary....the trip dossier is quite good with providing the itineary and altitude information.

Happy trekking!

Postby Tall Paul » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:32 am

Hey;

Thanks for the information. I suspected it was only part way up. I'm eyeballing this tour for next summer/fall combined with something in italy and spain. Maybe even to the top of the moutain, if possible, on a side truip. I'll have to see what the requirements are.

As far as moutnaineering, it seems GAP doesn't cater to the death wish set, just yet. :lol: However, I've met a few of these characters, on my GAP trips, who are travelling with other companies, that make our hiking, biking and rafting look like a sunday school picnic. :shock:

Not for me, thank you. :P

Paul
Tall Paul

Postby tts » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum and I'm also interested in the Mt Blanc trip, next year. Could you tell me what kind of fitness level this requires. I hike and cycle regularly, my hiking trips have been around 15-20km in length, up to 1200m in elevation gain. But I'm not comfortable with scrambling with exposure. Is Mt Blanc trip suitable for me? Thanks in advance.
tts

Postby Tall Paul » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:24 am

Hey;

The trip dossiers describe the fitness levels required. This one is a level five, the highest. Not for unhealthy people. If you can hike 20 km you should be okay. I've been similar trips in south america and can assure you the hike will be challenging, even for those who are physically fit.

The altitude of 2,700 m should not be a major factor for most people. Unfortunately, you won't know until you experience that altitude. Some people don't notice it, a few get altitude sickness. And the level of physical fitness has little to do with your susceptibilitiy to it.

Paul

What exactly do you mean by exposure?
Tall Paul

Postby tts » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:19 am

Hi Paul, thanks for your help. I read the dossier but wanted to hear more about this trip from those who have attended. The highest altitude I have hiked at was 2000m, with no problem. With exposure I mean, even though I don't have a fear of hights, I don't feel comfortable scrambling up exposed slopes with a sheer drop down right next to me. Not sure if this trip would involve anything like that.
tts

Postby Care » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:26 am

Hey there....
The trip is quite physically demanding, however I think it is more physical endurance that is required. We hiked around 7 hours a day and some parts are steep therefore being able to hike for a long time and at different levels (and carrying your own pack) is a must. There are some parts of the trail that is quite narrow and there are vertical drops. I myself am not afraid of heights but for those parts of the trail I did not look to the drop, I just concentrate on the scenery ahead and my path ahead. Tour leader did mention for those who have 'vertigo' might not be suitable for this trip.
You should definitely do this trip, the scenery/food/people..everything was amazing! All the mountain refuges we stayed at was truly an awesome experience!

Next

Return to Europe