Traveling by yourself

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Traveling by yourself

Postby Heuters » Mon May 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi There!

Has anyone gone on these trips as a single? I want to go on one, but I can't get any friends to come along! I'm just nervous that everyone else in the group will have a travel buddy, and I'll be the third wheel!

If you've done any of these trips traveling as a single please let me know how it went! =)
Heuters
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby steve » Mon May 07, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Heuters,

Welcome to the Watering Hole! Some of our members are already discussing this in our South America forum ... you'll find the thread here:

http://wateringhole.gapadventures.com/v ... .php?t=981

cheers,
Steve
steve
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

You can do it!

Postby Kelly.Barrowcliffe » Mon May 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Hi,

I wouldn't call myself well travelled, and I have certainly never travelled alone -especially because I'm female. I (almost impulsively) decided to do a GAP Adventure, by myself, did a little research, visited a Concept store and booked a trip to Brazil. I spent just over 2 weeks there, in Rio, then Paraty, on the Tall Ship Tocorime, and finally back in Rio. I wouldn't have thought I could do it...I was full of anxiety and worries in advance...but you know what -I had the time of my life.

I wasn't a third wheel, and not everyone had a travel companion. I had a good combination of alone time, and together time. Even people with travel companions (friend, sister, partner) were welcoming of us single travellers -I never felt awkward or out of place. The group had a wonderful dynamic and we all got along. We are now keeping in touch and I think all of us would travel together again.

I had such an incredible time (and not without issues or challenges, if I'm being honest!)...that I am likely taking a leave from work so I can continue my journey -alone, again. This time, I leave with some questions -but less fear that I can travel by myself and be just fine. Further, I can travel by myself and have an incredible time, meet amazing people, have life altering experiences and...AND...want to do it all over again.

Hope that helps! My advice is to trust yourself and go for it. It worked for me!

Kelly
Kelly.Barrowcliffe

Postby Myosotis » Sun May 13, 2007 2:01 am

Many people travel solo with Gap. For instance, I went to India, last december, and we were 11 travellers in the group. My boyfriend and I were the only couple, and two girls were travelling together, but the 7 others were solo travellers. We had a lot of fun.
Myosotis
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ballu » Mon May 14, 2007 9:00 am

I've done two trips solo and I've booked a third. When people ask me if I'm going alone I tell them, "No I'm going with up to 12 people, I just haven't met them yet".

With small groups sizes, you'll be surprised at how quickly you become a little family and support group for each other.

Chanes are you won't be the only one solo, if you are then there's still no worries. People don't go on a tour like this if they want to be on their own as a couple. I never felt like a third wheel.
ballu

Postby blobert_coltrane » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:54 pm

though i've never been on a GAP tour i've been on similar tours and always on my own, they're better that way! you meet more people and make more friends, and when you do want to be alone it's easier. once you travelling alone you never go back!
blobert_coltrane
User Rank: Weekender

Postby Care » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:48 am

Hi there....I asked the same question when I was looking into joinging GAP for the first time. To my surprise, many people out there like to travel solo! I have to say joinging GAP was one of my best travel experiences so far! The group size is small so for sure you will make friends quickly! And there was only one couple in the whole group! So no worries.....go ahead and explore the world!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Postby Sierra_Travels » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:53 am

I did two back-to-back tours in China... our groups were pretty evenly split, about half of the folks were couples (so 3-4 couples) and the rest single travelers. These were in groups about 14-16 people in size. :)
Life's a journey. Get lost along the way.
meryddiansjourneys.blogspot.com
Sierra_Travels

Postby careau » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Our Gap group was 10 strong. 6 singles and two couples. It is my understanding that Gap groups are VERY popular with singles. Probably because they are one of the few companies that don`t charge a single supplement.

The other tour companies I have used : the singles were a clear minority but I still never felt out of place. Unless you`re extremely shy, you`ll blend in nicely with any group I`m sure!
careau
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Europe