Eastern Turkey Adventure

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Eastern Turkey Adventure

Postby whithop » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm

Has anyone been on the Eastern Turkey Adventure recently? I am wondering how this region is, and whether the locations (Kars, Van Mardin, Kahta, Sanli Urfa, Mt. Nemrut) on the itinerary are all accessible/safe, with the conflict in Syria being near the South Eastern border of Turkey. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I am thinking of a late August trip to Turkey.

Thank you!
whithop
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Eastern Turkey Adventure

Postby georginal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi

I was in Kas last October. Beautiful little town. Syria not a problem then. Don't worry its safe. Hot in August!
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby whithop » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks so much for the reply! Do you think it's too hot to be pleasant then? I am invited to a wedding celebration in Istanbul at the end of August so was thinking of trying to tack on a little more of Turkey at that time and thought the Eastern Turkey trip was about the length of time I was looking for.
whithop

Postby georginal » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:33 pm

it would seem such a shame not to, given you're going anyway! I actually tacked a weekend Istanbul to my trip as well which worked out quite well. You'll get some sea breezes so probably sticking to the coast is a good idea. I'd expect it would be busy. One thing you could look if you're concerned about the heat as an alternative is a Gulet (boat) trip on the Turquoise Coast (same area) which get advertised all the time, I think G does them as well!
georginal

Postby kencheung » Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 pm

I just came back last week from Ultimate Turkey, ETUT (which is 3 wks and actually a combo trip of Absolute Turkey and Eastern Turkey back-to-back).

Eastern Turkey is fantastic. It is off the usual beaten tourist path. In fact, we never did see any Western tourists at all during the week in Eastern Turkey. The locals are great. They see so few Western tourists that we were a novelty and many would want photos taken with us for their own souvenir! The sights were fantastic (we made an optional trip to Gobekli Tepe (look it up!!!) which was a sight to behold). There is NO safety issues/concerns at all with Syria and the conflict.

Highly, highly recommend Eastern Turkey.

K
kencheung

Return to Europe