Trekking in the Dolomites

Walk or cycle the historic trails, picnic under an olive tree, explore the Greek Islands by yacht or just watch the world go by from a Tapas bar in Barcelona.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Trekking in the Dolomites

Postby kenm » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi,

I'm taking this trip with two Nephews.

One thing I don't understand from the description of the luggage is that we are to bring a backpack or sportsbag and a daypack. The idea is that we are carrying our stuff from location to location, but the daypack is confusing to me. Is the idea that we are taking our luggage from hotel/hut/guesthouse to hotel/hut/guesthouse, and then once at a location we'd be taking a dayhike? GAdventures is not clear, and when I contact them, I get a restatement of the trip description without any clarity. Anyone can shed light here?

Also, does anyone know if there's reliable electricity at the various locations? I'm planning to bring an mp3 player and don't know if I should bring one with AAA batteries, or my ipod (with a rechargeable).

Thanks,

Ken
kenm
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Trekking in the Dolomites

Postby kenm » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:28 pm

All, we asked a bunch of questions of GAdventures and decided to post them for all who might have the same questions. The travel list guide is not clear, but this should help:

Question: Backpack - I understand we are carrying all our stuff from location to location, and the concept of packing everything into a larger backpack or sportsbag, but it's the extra daypack that is very confusing. Is the reason for the daypack that we are dropping our larger pack off at one of the locations (huts/hotels/guesthouses, etc...) and then going on a day hike, and so don't need to carry our extra clothes/bedding? I've been on the Machu Picchu trip and the porters carried our sportsbag, while we all carried just a daypack, but the porters followed/led the way from campsite to campsite, and we did not vary from that. If we are to carry our stuff from campsite (huts/hotels/guesthouses, etc...) to campsite, and nothing more, then I don't see the need for the extra daypack. I'm advising other teen travelers coming with me, and need clarity here, that I cannot discern from the website (a few other people have read it and are just as confused).

Answer: They are dropping their large luggage on day 1 at the Hotel in Calalzo and then collecting it on the last night in Bolzano. The backpack is for the days of hike with everything they need, change of clothes, toiletries etc.

Question: will there be transport between towns on the tour? We are trying to determine if the person will be carrying their hiking pack ALL the time. So will the group arrive at the next town's location by bus, drop off some things, and then go for a day hike?

Answer: The luggage will be taken from Calalazo (day 2 morning) to Bolzano (day 9). So the passenger will not have access to their main piece of luggage for the duration of the trip...which is why they need to take a backpack to carry during the hikes. They leave everyday with their own backpack, and hike to the next destination.

Question: Electricity - I would normally bring an ipod, and am wondering if there will be reliable electricity at the locations to recharge the batteries. If not, then I would bring something with disposable batteries.

Answer: the Hotels have electricity but the huts will have 1 or 2 charger so they can recharge it during the night. There are electrical plugs in every hut (even if there are not many);and just the Hut in Val Gardena shuts the electricity at 10 pm everywhere else is possible to charge.

Question: Toilet facilities - I've hiked around a bit and you pretty much make do with whatever bush/tree you can find. On this trip, is it the same or will we need to wait for towns/stations?

Answer: During the day they find some refuges and public ecologic toilets on the way but it will be once every 1-2 hrs so in case they need to go. Otherwise it will be the bushes.

Question: Weather (August) - I've looked at the weather maps for the Calalzo, Cortina, Canazei, etc.. and am seeing (in Fahrenheit) low 80s, mostly 70s during the day, and in the 50s at night. Does that sound right and is that the kind of weather to expect in early August?

Answer: I am not sure in F, but in celsius during the day can be up to 20-25 degrees and it will drop at night since they are in the mountains
kenm

Postby georginal » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Can't answer particular trip questions but the electricity situation it Italy, the Dolomites and everywhere else is fine. When you are staying in Hotels an guesthouses (not sure about the hut nights) you will have access so bring adaptors. Some spare batteries though, are always a good idea.

Weather wise Italy gets hot 70-100 deg plus in August with potential storms/rain so bring a lightweight set of waterproofs and one or two warm layers for the evening.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby kenm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:09 am

Okay, GAdventures updated the description of the trip and provided more clarity, so read the trip description.
kenm

Return to Europe