Costa Rica Explorer - backpack or suitcase?

Central American volcanoes, cities and markets; Mexican Mayan history and Caribbean beaches and rainforests.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Costa Rica Explorer - backpack or suitcase?

Postby shekhar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has done the CRE trip and if it is possible to bring a suitcase instead of a backpack. I have a lot to bring and am thinking a backpack may not be sufficient.

Since it's a comfort level trip - I am assuming the transfers and accommodations should be fine with the suitcase but not sure if there are chunks of the trip where I need to carry my luggage for long portions.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
shekhar
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Costa Rica Explorer - backpack or suitcase?

Postby drmaestro » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:27 am

Hi,

I also would like to know the answer to this question. I will participate at Costa Rica Adventure which is a standart tour, so our tour might have more public transportation than yours. I do have a large Samsonite roller, which is practical when packing things due to its capacity but not very easy to pull on streets if there are lots of stones or pebbles. Of course, it is possible to carry it sideways thanks to the lateral handle but this isn't the most comfortable solution. The CRA booklet recommends a duffel bag by the way.
drmaestro

Postby sinecure » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Backpacks are always recommended. They allow you to be a lot more nimble when navigating busy streets etc.

That said if you only own a roller, our CEO's will do everything to make your trip enjoyable. But you may end up hating your luggage by the end of the trip. Especially if you have to carry it up 4 stories in a hotel with no elevator.
sinecure

Postby Janice08 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 pm

shekhar wrote: I have a lot to bring and am thinking a backpack may not be sufficient.

If the reason you have a lot of stuff is that this is part of a longer journey, then you may be able to leave some extra stuff at the joining hotel. You can pack an inexpensive folding duffle bag inside your suitcase to take on this portion. Walmart sells them in Canada for under $20.

Most people find they can get by on about a 60 - 80 liter bag. You don't need a change of clothes for every day - you can find laundry service in most places where you stay more than one night or you can wash out clothes in the shower and hang them to dry. I've been to almost all the places included on this trip and other than Monteverde which is cooler due to the elevation, you'll probably live in shorts and shirts with sandals - cuts down on the dirty clothes.

Large hard sided suitcases can be inconvenient to load on buses - they usually end up on the roof or loaded in the back through a window. However, as Sinecure said, the CEO's will do their best to accomodate if that is what you show up with.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby shekhar » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks everyone for the information. I leave in 3 days and am super excited!
shekhar

Return to Central America, Mexico & Caribbean